all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 2 or more pop3 email addresses?
@ 2017-05-17 12:16 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-05-17 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

How can I have 2 or more pop3 email addresses in gnus please?

I've tried this, but it didn't work,

(setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/boudiccas")
(pop :server "mail.plus.net" :user "foobar" :password "foofoobar")
(pop :server "mail.plus.net" :user "foobar2" :password "foobarfoo")))

It also seemed to pose problems with possibly some emails not actually
moving away from my computer. But I'm not too sure of that.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.8, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1, org-mode 9.0.7

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: 2 or more pop3 email addresses?
@ 2017-05-17 20:32 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-17 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble wrote:

> How can I have 2 or more pop3 email addresses
> in gnus please?

Step 1 would be to create multiple instances in
`gnus-secondary-select-methods' - however
because you deal with several accounts, you
must strive to not just mention them there but
also to get in as much data as possible.

I know of this site [1] - he uses IMAP, but
perhaps the principle is the same for POP:

      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
            '((nnimap "home"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                      (nnimap-server-port 993)
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo"))
              (nnimap "work"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                      (nnimap-server-port 993)
                     (nnimap-stream ssl)
                     (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo"))))

    You’d then put your credentials into your .authinfo file like so:

    machine imap.gmail.com login mylogin password mypassword port imaps
    machine imap.gmail.com login mylogin2 password mypassword2 port imaps

[1] http://www.cataclysmicmutation.com/2010/11/multiple-gmail-accounts-in-gnus

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: 2 or more pop3 email addresses?
@ 2017-05-19 23:00 ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-05-19 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-emacs

On 2017-05-17 13:16 +01, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
> How can I have 2 or more pop3 email addresses in gnus please?
>
> I've tried this, but it didn't work,
>
> (setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/boudiccas")
> (pop :server "mail.plus.net" :user "foobar" :password "foofoobar")
> (pop :server "mail.plus.net" :user "foobar2" :password "foobarfoo")))
>
> It also seemed to pose problems with possibly some emails not actually
> moving away from my computer. But I'm not too sure of that.
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Hi,

What gnus method do you use?  With mail-sources you need `nnml'.  Also,
in those pop forms you may need to set :port too:

(pop :server foo :user bar :port 995)

Look-up if your host uses a non standard port.  Also, use Emacs
auth-source library for your passwords, it's not a good idea to keep
them in plain text (see info on auth).

* Re: 2 or more pop3 email addresses?
@ 2017-05-19 23:01   ` Göktuğ Kayaalp
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp @ 2017-05-19 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-05-17 22:32 +02, Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:
> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> How can I have 2 or more pop3 email addresses
>> in gnus please?
>             '((nnimap "home"

The OP seems to use POP3, nnimap is for IMAP.

* Re: 2 or more pop3 email addresses?
@ 2017-05-19 23:13     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-19 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:

>>> How can I have 2 or more pop3 email
>>> addresses in gnus please? '((nnimap "home"
>
> The OP seems to use POP3, nnimap is for IMAP.

Yes, that is why I wrote:

    I know of this site [...] - he uses IMAP,
    but perhaps the principle is the same for
    POP

Actually solving the common problem with
multiple e-mails with Gnus is a great idea!
You can even have Gnus lead both sources to one
group so you can have virtually a single
e-mail...

Tho I recommend having only one e-mail
sometimes with work and other undertakings
people insist you use their stuff, and with
Gnus God willing you can set it up
transparently to work both ways.

--

@ 2017-05-19 23:27   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-19 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:

> Look-up if your host uses a non standard
> port. Also, use Emacs auth-source library for
> your passwords, it's not a good idea to keep
> them in plain text (see info on auth).

Here, by "auth-source library", do you mean the
Secret Service API?

Or do you mean a regular .authinfo file?
Because to have a plain text password in
a dotfile in the home dir doesn't strike me as
that much better an idea than to have them
plaintexted in Elisp...

"Security thru obscurity", right? Not good.

--

@ 2017-05-19 23:30     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-05-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Or do you mean a regular .authinfo file?
> Because to have a plain text password in
> a dotfile in the home dir doesn't strike me
> as that much better an idea than to have them
> plaintexted in Elisp...

Worse, actually. Because if some havoc kids
compromised my home dir they would look for the
netrc files immediately. But would they be
classy enough to browse my Elisp for the
password? Doubtful!