all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Portable way for creating FIFOs
@ 2017-09-18 20:48 Petteri Hintsanen
From: Petteri Hintsanen @ 2017-09-18 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

Is it possible to portably create named pipes in Emacs Lisp?  "Portably"
means here "to create in a system that has named pipes".  I could use
call-process or something like that with 'mkfifo', but that seems quite
POSIXy thing to do.

(Context: I'm trying to write an EMMS player for mpv, and there FIFO
would be the preferable way to do IPC.  But mpv does not create a pipe,
it only opens one.)

Thanks,
Petteri

* Re: Portable way for creating FIFOs
@ 2017-09-19  6:56 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2017-09-19  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petteri Hintsanen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Petteri Hintsanen <petterih@iki.fi> writes:

> Is it possible to portably create named pipes in Emacs Lisp?
> "Portably" means here "to create in a system that has named
> pipes".  I
> could use call-process or something like that with 'mkfifo', but
> that
> seems quite POSIXy thing to do.

Since no-one else has offered any suggestions, i'm wondering if
the
`make-process` function with :connection-type `pipe` might do the
job?
i'm on Debian, not a Windows system, so haven't tried it on the
latter

Alexis.