all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can't open some directories in dired via adb
@ 2018-01-17  5:29 Akater
From: Akater @ 2018-01-17  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't open some directories in dired via adb.

Dired buffer displays a branch of directory tree on the device. Some
directories in it won't open with RET or with C-x C-f dir C-j. However,
files in them are accessible with C-x C-f, and ido does show
subdirectory listing.

Device: OnePlus One
Android version: 6.0.1
OS: CyanogenMod 13
Kernel: 3.4.112-cyanogenmod

ls provided by BusyBox, as far as I can see.

Opening directory /adb:e476ba43:/storage/emulated/0/Texts/mathematics/...failed
tramp-file-name-handler: Couldn’t find exit status of ‘env COLUMNS=1 ls -a -l /storage/emulated/0/Texts/mathematics/’

Some directories in Texts/ do open, some don't. It's not clear what
determines this. However, two directories I can't open contain files
that are accessed more often than files in their counterpart
directories.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Can't open some directories in dired via adb
@ 2018-01-17 14:13 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-01-17 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akater; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Akater <nuclearspace@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> I can't open some directories in dired via adb.
>
> Dired buffer displays a branch of directory tree on the device. Some
> directories in it won't open with RET or with C-x C-f dir C-j. However,
> files in them are accessible with C-x C-f, and ido does show
> subdirectory listing.
>
> Device: OnePlus One
> Android version: 6.0.1
> OS: CyanogenMod 13
> Kernel: 3.4.112-cyanogenmod
>
> ls provided by BusyBox, as far as I can see.
>
> Opening directory /adb:e476ba43:/storage/emulated/0/Texts/mathematics/...failed
> tramp-file-name-handler: Couldn’t find exit status of ‘env COLUMNS=1 ls -a -l /storage/emulated/0/Texts/mathematics/’
>
> Some directories in Texts/ do open, some don't. It's not clear what
> determines this. However, two directories I can't open contain files
> that are accessed more often than files in their counterpart
> directories.

I suppose this is due to restricted directory permissions in Android /
CyanogenMod. You could check yourself, running "adb shell" from a shell
outside Emacs, and navigate there. It might be helpful to see the result
of the command "ls -a -l /storage/emulated/0/Texts/mathematics".

Btw, which Emacs / Tramp versions are you running? I remember there were
problems with the Tramp adb method and newer Android verions (say, 6+).
This was fixed in Emacs 26 / Tramp 2.3.

Best regards, Michael.