tags 32014 + patch quit João Távora writes: > The error's backtrace isn't shown even with debug-on-error set to t. If you (setq debug-ignored-errors nil) first, then the backtrace is Debugger entered--Lisp error: (text-read-only) indent-line-to(7) lisp-indent-line() funcall-interactively(lisp-indent-line) call-interactively(lisp-indent-line record nil) command-execute(lisp-indent-line record) execute-extended-command(nil "lisp-indent-line" "lisp-indent-line") funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "lisp-indent-line" "lisp-indent-line") call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil) command-execute(execute-extended-command) > Is this the intended behaviour? In 25.2 the string foo was correctly > indented back one character, so this seems like a regression. No, it's an accident. In lisp-indent-line, I simplified (setq shift-amt (- indent (current-column))) (if (zerop shift-amt) nil (delete-region beg (point)) (indent-to indent))) into (indent-line-to indent) but it turns out not be equivalent in this case. indent-line-to doesn't respect the prompt's field property. I propose this for emacs-26: