all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gmane and gmail
@ 2018-12-03  9:55 Roy Lemmon
From: Roy Lemmon @ 2018-12-03  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have recently subscribed to several mailing lists for Emacs, such as
help-gnu-emacs and emacs-devel. I have used my regular gmail email for
this. Not surprisingly, I get lots of emails in my inbox from these lists !

I am using gnus to both read my email (from Gmail) and also to subscribe to
and read these mailing lists via gmane. So I am getting the same mailing
list emails from gmane and also via my Gmail email.

How do people manage this ? In principle the Gmail emails are redundant as
I could do everything in gmane. Do you just accept both and filter, or is
there a way I can post and reply in gmane only and the mailing list doesn't
send to my gmail address ?

Thanks, Roy.

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2018-12-03 16:38 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2018-12-03 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Choose one or the other, i.e. subscribe for email or read on gmane via
nntp.  Not sure why you would want to do both.

I use gmane generally as nntp is much better for this.
--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50 & org 9.1.13 on Debian 9.5

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2018-12-03 17:25 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-12-03 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Roy Lemmon <roy@roylemmon.com> writes:

> I have recently subscribed to several mailing lists for Emacs, such as
> help-gnu-emacs and emacs-devel. I have used my regular gmail email for
> this. Not surprisingly, I get lots of emails in my inbox from these lists !
>
> I am using gnus to both read my email (from Gmail) and also to subscribe to
> and read these mailing lists via gmane. So I am getting the same mailing
> list emails from gmane and also via my Gmail email.
>
> How do people manage this ? In principle the Gmail emails are redundant as
> I could do everything in gmane. Do you just accept both and filter, or is
> there a way I can post and reply in gmane only and the mailing list doesn't
> send to my gmail address ?

Ideally, you wouldn't sign up to gmane with an email address, you would
just add the gmane NNTP server to your Gnus installation, and do
everything via NNTP.

BUT... the auto-authorization mechanism for gmane has been broken for a
while, so you wouldn't be able to post (unless you've authorized in the
past?).

So you're stuck posting via Gmail, and reading via... both. If you set
`gnus-suppress-duplicates' non-nil, then read the messages in one
interface, Gnus will automatically mark the messages read in the other.

But why not just set up a filter in Gmail? Put the messages in their own
folder, mark them read by default, or just delete them altogether.

Eric

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2018-12-03 17:28   ` Roy Lemmon
From: Roy Lemmon @ 2018-12-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Eric. What I have done is keep subscribed to the mailing list but
turned off sending email. I could do this in the mailman interface.

I agree gmane and nntp is better for the mailing lists.

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2018-12-14  5:34     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2018-12-14  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Roy Lemmon wrote:
> What I have done is keep subscribed to the mailing list but turned
> off sending email. I could do this in the mailman interface.

Note that having nomail turned on is the same as not being subscribed
at all.  It is intended for people who go on vacation and want to
suspend email for a while and then turn it back on again when they
return without needing to revalidate their email address.

If you never intend to receive email it would keep the database
cleaner to simply unsubscribe.  Periodically I clean out dead
addresses that appear to have been offline for a long time.  Otherwise
the list of addresses in the mailing list grows without bounds over
time.

Note that there is no need to subscribe in order to post.  The gnu.org
lists are all open lists (except for some few exceptions) and anyone
may post to them.

> I agree gmane and nntp is better for the mailing lists.

It is a matter of personal taste.

Bob

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2019-02-21  6:44   ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-02-21  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> Roy Lemmon writes:
>
>> How do people manage this ?
>
> just add the gmane NNTP server to your
> Gnus installation, and do everything via
> NNTP.

Gmane's auto-authorization mechanism
requires that you reply to a one-time-only
email when you post to a group the first
time.

What I do is use gmane NNTP and outside of
GNUS I use:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

messages have a reply button which
triggers your default email app.

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835

* Re: gmane and gmail
@ 2019-03-09 11:02 ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2019-03-09 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Dec 03 2018, Roy Lemmon wrote:
> I have recently subscribed to several mailing lists for Emacs, such as
> help-gnu-emacs and emacs-devel. I have used my regular gmail email for
> this. Not surprisingly, I get lots of emails in my inbox from these lists !
>
> I am using gnus to both read my email (from Gmail) and also to subscribe to
> and read these mailing lists via gmane. So I am getting the same mailing
> list emails from gmane and also via my Gmail email.
>
> How do people manage this ? In principle the Gmail emails are redundant as
> I could do everything in gmane. Do you just accept both and filter, or is
> there a way I can post and reply in gmane only and the mailing list doesn't
> send to my gmail address ?

For reading, i prefer Gmane NNTP to mailing interface. Sometimes i send
mail via Gmane NNTP just sometimes...;;;

Sincerely, Byung-Hee.

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//