tags 35613 + patch quit 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson writes: > I discovered a massive bug. A bug that could cause the user to lose mail. > > In the *Summary* buffer use a few > [next-line] > until the cursor is upon call it, article A. > [gnus-summary-scroll-up] > [next-line] (once or more) > [gnus-summary-scroll-up] > [gnus-summary-widget-forward] > = [gnus-article-read-summary-keys] > Even though the ">" arrow at left and the underline are on a different article, > but the cursor now returns to Article A!! > > Now if he hits e.g., the E key, he will mark the wrong article! > Or if he forwards it to his grandmother, she will die because he > forwarded the wrong article and she had a heart attack. See, gnus kills people! > > Sure you will argue that that is a feature, however I used the same > [gnus-summary-scroll-up] > twice and for no good reason you remember the first one. > > Gnus v5.13 > GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.4) > of 2019-02-03, modified by Debian This is the user option switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point in action. If you customise it to nil, the behaviour you describe should go away. This is why Elisp programs should usually use pop-to-buffer et al. instead of switch-to-buffer et al. The following patch should fix that for this case: