Eli Zaretskii writes: [...] >> > In general, if the default face's font supports some character, Emacs >> > will use that font, so I don't quite understand why you need to >> > customize your fonts just to have characters displayed by the default >> > face's font. It shouldn't be needed, if the font really supports >> > those characters >> >> Except that it /is/ needed, as I've described in my original question? > > I'd need to see full recipe starting from "emacs -Q" to understand > what exactly is needed and why. Please evaluate: (let ((buf (get-buffer-create "test encodings"))) (with-current-buffer buf (erase-buffer) (insert "Encoding windows-1251: " (propertize "привет\n" 'charset 'windows-1251)) (insert "Encoding unicode: " (propertize "привет\n" 'charset 'unicode))) (switch-to-buffer-other-window buf)) What I see in "emacs -Q" is attached as Emacs window snapshot. Please notice how two strings look very different where encodings differ. What I see in my "regular" Emacs is almost the same, just in larger font size. The question is why Emacs doesn't use the default font for windows-1251 encoding when the font definitely has all the needed glyphs? Thanks, -- Sergey