all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 11:50 Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2021-05-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In elisp buffer, flymake reports an error for the following line:

(require 'dash)

The reported error is "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
dash".

dash is obviously on `load-path`. How can I make flymake happy?

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 15:43 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-05-15 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Max Brieiev [2021-05-15 14:50:50] wrote:
> In elisp buffer, flymake reports an error for the following line:
>
> (require 'dash)
>
> The reported error is "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
> dash".
>
> dash is obviously on `load-path`. How can I make flymake happy?

Flymake runs the byte-compiler is another Emacs session, so what you see
is a result of an interaction between the way flymake starts this other
Emacs and the way you set the `load-path` in your Emacs's configuration.

To see if it should be considered "your fault" or "flymake's fault",
we'd need more details about your config.  I suggest you file a bug
report for that (even if it's "your fault", maybe we could improve the
diagnostics or the documentation to make it easier to track down).

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 19:31 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-05-15 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 15 2021, Max Brieiev wrote:
> In elisp buffer, flymake reports an error for the following line:
>
> (require 'dash)
>
> The reported error is "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
> dash".
>
> dash is obviously on `load-path`. How can I make flymake happy?

Set `elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path`, perhaps? I know that for flymake,
you need to set `flycheck-emacs-lisp-load-path` for this to work.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 19:38   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-05-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, May 15 2021, Joost Kremers wrote:
> Set `elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path`, perhaps? I know that for flymake,

for flycheck, of course..

@ 2021-05-15 21:01   ` Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2021-05-15 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I suggest you file a bug report for that

Here it is: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48452

Thanks.

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 21:26   ` Max Brieiev
From: Max Brieiev @ 2021-05-15 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Set `elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path`, perhaps?

Cool, this helped. Thank you!

Does it have any drawbacks setting this in .emacs:

(setq elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path load-path)

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 21:39     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-05-15 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 16 2021, Max Brieiev wrote:
> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> Set `elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path`, perhaps?
>
> Cool, this helped. Thank you!
>
> Does it have any drawbacks setting this in .emacs:
>
> (setq elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path load-path)

It's probably safe to set it (don't see any reason why not), but you should
probably check the manual to make sure that when you set
`elisp-flymake-byte-compile-load-path`, the `load-path` contains all necessary
directories.. See:

(info "(elisp) Library Search")

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Flymake for elisp does not respect `load-path`
@ 2021-05-15 23:20 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-05-15 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Max Brieiev <max.brieiev@gmail.com> writes:

> In elisp buffer, flymake reports an error for the following line:
>
> (require 'dash)
>
> The reported error is "Cannot open load file: No such file or directory,
> dash".
>
> dash is obviously on `load-path`. How can I make flymake happy?

Have you tried wrapping the require statement in a (eval-and-load ...)
block? I had the same issue with loading site-local files in my
configuration.

--
	Philip K.