Jim Porter writes: > I took a brief look at these and they seem reasonable to my eyes. It'll > be nice to have (mostly) complete support for reading ANSI colors in Emacs. > > Thinking about it a bit more, one thing that might be nice to add for > the first patch would be some additional tests to be sure that > `ansi-color-context-region' and `ansi-color-context' work as expected > (i.e. testing that multiple calls to `ansi-color-apply-on-region' and > similar produce the correct results). That's one of the trickier bits > in ansi-color.el (to me, anyway), and it'd be good to be sure all the > various cases still work there. > [...] > Good idea. For testing my patches, I already made some private tests of this nature (but only for ansi-color and not for term-mode). It should be easy to polish them up for ansi-color-tests.el. Will probably send a patch later. >>> I see you posted an updated patch that doesn't merge these vectors. I >>> don't have an opinion here, although if we do merge them, it would >>> probably be nice to get that into Emacs 28; other packages might >>> conceivably want to let-bind those[1]. >> >> Indeed, if we wanted to merge them we'd have to do it in Emacs 28. >> That's why I think its best to simply leave them un-merged. > > If there's a performance benefit to merging them, I think it would be > nice to do so while we have the chance. Perhaps a patch that just merges > the two vectors, and nothing else, would make sense for Emacs 28. Best > to ask the maintainers in this case too, though. The performance benefit I measured was negligible so I think it's fine to just focus on Emacs 29.