On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:34:12 +0200 Joost Kremers wrote: > Hi list, > > I "wrote" a teeny-tiny minor mode `dedicated-mode` inspired by the same-name > mode available on Melpa. It's basically just a single line: > > ``` > (define-minor-mode dedicated-mode > "Minor mode to dedicate a window to its buffer." > :init-value nil :lighter " D" :global nil > (set-window-dedicated-p nil dedicated-mode)) > ``` > > Now, never mind that this shouldn't be a minor mode at all, since it should be > linked to the window, not the buffer. What's strange is that when I activate > this mode, the message in the echo area reads: > > DeDicateD moDe enabled in current buffer > > Note the capital Ds in the words "DeDicateD moDe". Same thing happens when I > deactivate the mode. > > Funny thing is, if I change the :lighter in the mode definition to lower case > "d", the capitalisation does not happen. > > So, what should I file this under? Bug or joke? :D It's due to the last line in easy-mmode-pretty-mode-name: ;; Replace any (case-insensitive) matches for LIGHTER in NAME ;; with a literal LIGHTER. E.g., if NAME is "Iimage mode" and ;; LIGHTER is " iImag", then this will produce "iImage mode". ;; (LIGHTER normally comes from the mode-line string passed to ;; define-minor-mode, and normally includes at least one leading ;; space.) (replace-regexp-in-string (regexp-quote lighter) lighter name t t)))) The patch below fixes your use case but breaks the case mentioned in the above comment. A fix handling both cases might be tricky. Steve Berman