all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#73830: using one expression to make multiple X selections
       [not found] <4a2f64e201951a525ab56fab135c4777@riseup.net>
@ 2024-10-15 18:04 ` libreville
From: libreville @ 2024-10-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 73830

My apologies, that should of course have read "sleep-for 1", not
"wait-for 1".

@ 2024-10-16 19:42   ` libreville
From: libreville @ 2024-10-16 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 73830

Hi there,

going by the list archive, my first email didn't go through. Here it is
again in case that's right:

Hello,

I stumbled on this while trying to elisp a few things into my X
clipboard manager. Evaluating these two expressions in turn:

(gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "1")
(gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "2")

results in both "1" and "2" being saved to the clipboard history.
However:

(progn
  (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "1")
  (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "2"))

results in "2" being saved to the clipboard history but, contrary to
what I would expect, not "1". On the other hand this:

(progn
  (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "3")
  (sleep-for 1)
  (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "4"))

gets both "3" and "4" onto the clipboard (history). I get similar
results with kill-new in place of gui-set-selection 'CLIBOARD and with
other ways of grouping the two kills into one expression.

Why does waiting work around the problem?

Tested with both copyq and clipman / Emacs 28.2 / Xfce.

Best,

liv.

@ 2024-10-16 21:54     ` Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Jeremy Bryant via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-10-16 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreville; +Cc: 73830

libreville <libreville@riseup.net> writes:

> Why does waiting work around the problem?
>
> Tested with both copyq and clipman / Emacs 28.2 / Xfce.

Have you tried with a more recent version of Emacs?

* bug#73830: using one expression to make multiple X selections
@ 2024-10-16 23:49     ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-10-16 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libreville; +Cc: 73830

libreville <libreville@riseup.net> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> going by the list archive, my first email didn't go through. Here it is
> again in case that's right:
>

> Hello,
>
> I stumbled on this while trying to elisp a few things into my X
> clipboard manager. Evaluating these two expressions in turn:
>
> (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "1")
> (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "2")
>
> results in both "1" and "2" being saved to the clipboard history.
> However:
>
> (progn
>   (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "1")
>   (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "2"))
>
> results in "2" being saved to the clipboard history but, contrary to
> what I would expect, not "1". On the other hand this:
>
> (progn
>   (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "3")
>   (sleep-for 1)
>   (gui-set-selection 'CLIPBOARD "4"))
>
> gets both "3" and "4" onto the clipboard (history). I get similar
> results with kill-new in place of gui-set-selection 'CLIBOARD and with
> other ways of grouping the two kills into one expression.
>
> Why does waiting work around the problem?

Because it takes time for X clipboard managers to respond to selection
ownership changes and to complete reading from other programs'
selections.

Not a bug, sorry.

* bug#73830: using one expression to make multiple X selections
@ 2024-10-17 11:29       ` snooze button
From: snooze button @ 2024-10-17 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: 73830