all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fixed static window set-up while opening another buffer
@ 2004-01-08 13:21 Edward Wijaya
From: Edward Wijaya @ 2004-01-08 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Sometime when we are in a certain window, we want to open a buffer-list
(C-x C-b)
or any other buffer.

However this buffer-list tend to be open in another windows instead
of the current windows (where the active-cursor rest).

Is there away to fix the opening of new buffer in the active window?

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Edward Wijaya
SINGAPORE

* Re: Fixed static window set-up while opening another buffer
@ 2004-01-08 17:16 ` lawrence mitchell
From: lawrence mitchell @ 2004-01-08 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward Wijaya wrote:

> Sometime when we are in a certain window, we want to open a
> buffer-list (C-x C-b) or any other buffer.

> However this buffer-list tend to be open in another windows
> instead of the current windows (where the active-cursor rest).

> Is there away to fix the opening of new buffer in the active
> window?

Does modifying the variable `same-window-regexps' help?

--
lawrence mitchell <wence@gmx.li>

* Re: Fixed static window set-up while opening another buffer
@ 2004-01-08 22:41   ` leo
From: leo @ 2004-01-08 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"lawrence mitchell" <wence@gmx.li> wrote in message
> Edward Wijaya wrote:
>
> > Is there away to fix the opening of new buffer in the active
> > window?
>
> Does modifying the variable `same-window-regexps' help?

or easier to handle but not as flexible is the var
`same-window-buffer-names'.

leo

* Re: Fixed static window set-up while opening another buffer
@ 2004-01-17 20:08 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-17 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward Wijaya <ewijaya@singnet.com.sg> writes:

> Sometime when we are in a certain window, we want to open a
> buffer-list (C-x C-b)
> or any other buffer.
>
> However this buffer-list tend to be open in another windows instead
> of the current windows (where the active-cursor rest).

I will never understand why C-x C-b is bound to buffer-list by
default.  I prefer buffer-menu myself.  Try it!

(It is like buffer-list except that the list pops up in the same
window.)

Kai

* Re: Fixed static window set-up while opening another buffer
@ 2004-01-19 19:30   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-01-19 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I will never understand why C-x C-b is bound to buffer-list by
> default.  I prefer buffer-menu myself.  Try it!

Indeed, but I like electric-buffer-list even more than buffer-menu.

--
Kevin Rodgers