all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CVS emacs and debian elisp packages
@ 2004-11-27  4:16 Andrew
From: Andrew @ 2004-11-27  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I've just checked out the latest CVS version of emacs, compiled it
and installed it (using checkinstall, which makes a debian package).

I can't quite get it to use the existing libraries which debian has
installed, though. The debian emacs policy:

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/debian-emacs-policy

says that

 At a minimum, each emacs must have the following directories in the
   given order in their load path:

     /etc/<flavor>
     /etc/emacs
     /usr/local/share/emacs/<upstream>/site-lisp
     /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
     /usr/share/emacs/<flavor>/site-lisp
     /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp

I tried adding the value of load-path in debian's emacs21 in both
~/.emacs and /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/site-lisp, but I still
can't seem to load 'VM'.  Perhaps for it to work, the things need to
be compiled in.

Perhaps it's a silly idea anyway. I note that the debian elisp
packages can call something to add things to load-path and such-like,
perhaps it's more trouble than it's worth.  I just thought it would be
nice to be able to apt-get install quack-el or whatever and have it just go.

Any suggestions? Is it feasible to get a hand-compiled emacs working
with the ddebian elisp packages nicely with minimum of fuss, or should
I just install the ones I want by hand?

|Andrew Tarr | arc@stuff.gen.nz	|  http://arc.stuff.gen.nz
|GPG Public Key:- http://arc.stuff.gen.nz/andrew.gpg
|_____
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportions"
--Francis Bacon
|~~~~~

* Re: CVS emacs and debian elisp packages
@ 2004-11-27  6:19 ` Janusz S. Bień
From: Janusz S. Bień @ 2004-11-27  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 27 Nov 2004  Andrew <arc@stuff.gen.nz> wrote:

> So, I've just checked out the latest CVS version of emacs, compiled it
> and installed it (using checkinstall, which makes a debian package).

[...]

> Any suggestions? Is it feasible to get a hand-compiled emacs working
> with the ddebian elisp packages nicely with minimum of fuss, or should
> I just install the ones I want by hand?

The right forum is debian-emacsen:

        http://lists.debian.org/debian-emacsen

Search for Emacs snapshot thread.

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)