all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-29 19:25 Gustavo Seabra
       [not found] ` <loom.20050629T211959-864-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gustavo Seabra @ 2005-06-29 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi,

I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts. All the
files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with the 'fortran
mode', which is actually more fortran77. So, I wonder if there's a way to tell
emacs to use a specific 'mode' from the command line, overriding the default
definition. Something like:

 $emacs -f90 my_f90_file.f &

to force emacs to already open the file with the f90 mode.

Thanks,

Gustavo Seabra.

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-29 21:51 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1641.1120084018.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <loom.20050629T211959-864-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-29 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.06.2005 um 21:25 schrieb Gustavo Seabra:

> I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts.
> All the
> files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with the
> 'fortran
> mode', which is actually more fortran77.

Why don't you let your f90 files begin with a comment:

     C -*- mode: f90; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-

This line among the first few switches GNU Emacs in the right mood.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"One person with a belief is a social power equal to ninety-nine who
have only interests." - John Stuart Mill

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-29 22:24   ` Gustavo Seabra
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1729.1120140988.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1641.1120084018.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gustavo Seabra @ 2005-06-29 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/29/05, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 29.06.2005 um 21:25 schrieb Gustavo Seabra:
>
> > I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts.
> > All the
> > files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with the
> > 'fortran
> > mode', which is actually more fortran77.
>
> Why don't you let your f90 files begin with a comment:
>
>     C -*- mode: f90; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-
>
> This line among the first few switches GNU Emacs in the right mood.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> "One person with a belief is a social power equal to ninety-nine who
> have only interests." - John Stuart Mill

Thanks! that solved the problem, but I had to use:

!C -*- mode: f90; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-

instead. Otherwise the f90 compiler complains (the "C" on the 1st line
is not understood as a comment in F90, "!" is.

@ 2005-06-29 22:46     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-29 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw

Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra@gmail.com> writes:
> !C -*- mode: f90; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-
>
> instead. Otherwise the f90 compiler complains (the "C" on the 1st line
> is not understood as a comment in F90, "!" is.

You can drop the "C" then; Emacs only cares about the stuff between the
two "-*-" markers.

-Miles
--
/\ /\
(^.^)

@ 2005-06-30  9:39   ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2005-06-30  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw

Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts. All the
> files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with the 'fortran
> mode', which is actually more fortran77. So, I wonder if there's a way to tell
> emacs to use a specific 'mode' from the command line, overriding the default
> definition.

Can you put Local Variable "cookies" into these files?

,----[ (info "(emacs)File Variables") ]
| A file can specify local variable values for use when you edit the file
| with Emacs.  Visiting the file checks for local variable
| specifications; it automatically makes these variables local to the
| buffer, and sets them to the values specified in the file.
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-30 14:04     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1729.1120140988.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-30 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.06.2005 um 00:24 schrieb Gustavo Seabra:

> I had to use:
>
> !C -*- mode: f90; coding: iso-8859-15; -*-
>
> instead. Otherwise the f90 compiler complains (the "C" on the 1st line
> is not understood as a comment in F90, "!" is.

Ahemm, my FORTRAN seems to be from '66! I thought you still have to put
a C in column 6 ...

Actually Emacs reads what's between the -*- markers, the C is not part
of the syntax, as Miles Bader remarks!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

@ 2005-06-30 14:45       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-06-30 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw

> Ahemm, my FORTRAN seems to be from '66! I thought you still have to put
> a C in column 6 ...

Wow, the original Emacs supported harcopy terminals (really!) but I
didn't know there was any version that could handle a card punch!

-Miles
--
=====
(^o^;

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-30 15:16     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-30 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Gustavo Seabra

Am 30.06.2005 um 11:39 schrieb Jochen Küpper:

> Can you put Local Variable "cookies" into these files?

These local variables are placed at the end of the file and consist of
a few lines. Here is an example where I try to teach AUCTeX to use a
specific programme to tex that specific TeX file:

%%% Local Variables:
%%% TeX-command-default: "xelatex"
%%% End:

This comes from a shell script and uses 'mode':

# Local Variables:
# mode: shell-script
# sh-indentation: 3
# coding: iso-8859-1
# End:

And here a hook is performed on opening that file in GNU Emacs:

;; Local Variables:
;; eval: (cl-indent 'when-debugging 1)
;; End:

You see that the comments vary and can you make a lot buffer local.

--
Greetings

   Pete

In a world without walls and fences, who needs gates and windows?

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
@ 2005-06-30 15:38     ` Gustavo Seabra
From: Gustavo Seabra @ 2005-06-30 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw

Jochen Küpper <jochen@...> writes:

> Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra@...> writes:
>
> > I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts. All
the
> > files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with
the 'fortran
> > mode', which is actually more fortran77. So, I wonder if there's a way to
tell
> > emacs to use a specific 'mode' from the command line, overriding the
default
> > definition.
>
> Can you put Local Variable "cookies" into these files?
>
> ,----[ (info "(emacs)File Variables") ]
> | A file can specify local variable values for use when you edit the file
> | with Emacs.  Visiting the file checks for local variable
> | specifications; it automatically makes these variables local to the
> | buffer, and sets them to the values specified in the file.
> `----
>
> Greetings,
> Jochen

Thanks. In fact I'm working on someone else's code, so I try to minimize any
changes that are not *directly* related to what I'm doing. In this sense,
Peter's suggestion worked fine, since it is only one line at the top of the
file.

* Re: select 'mode' from command line?
       [not found] <mailman.1623.1120074977.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-07-02  3:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-07-02  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw

> I'm working witha code that has both fortran 77 and fortran 90 parts. All the
> files, however, are named *.f, and emacs always opens them with the 'fortran
> mode', which is actually more fortran77. So, I wonder if there's a way to tell
> emacs to use a specific 'mode' from the command line, overriding the default
> definition. Something like:

>  $emacs -f90 my_f90_file.f &

> to force emacs to already open the file with the f90 mode.

Another option than the -*- cookie is to try and autodetect which it is.
I.e. write

     (defun fortran-77-or-90-mode ()
       (if (... check the buffer, looking for special language constructs
            and/or keywords that only exist in one of the two dialects...)
           (fortran-mode)
         (f90-mode)))

-- Stefan