all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-14 23:26 maillaxa
From: maillaxa @ 2006-07-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Dunno why but it seems I no longer send valid mail using Rmail.

They just contain no header except From, Subject, To, Date, Message-Id.

What should I check ??

Regards

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-15 14:23 ` maillaxa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4128.1152995462.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: maillaxa @ 2006-07-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Really, you do not have any clue about this ?

All my friends report problems when reading my mails :(

Xavier

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-15 20:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4128.1152995462.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-15 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:23:11 +0200
> Jabber-ID: zedek@im.lolica.org
> From: maillaxa@gmail.com
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Really, you do not have any clue about this ?

Not really.

> All my friends report problems when reading my mails :(

Tell them to switch to another mail program (such as Rmail ;-).  None
of my friends report any problems reading my mails.

@ 2006-07-15 22:29     ` maillaxa
From: maillaxa @ 2006-07-15 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii a écrit :

> > Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 16:23:11 +0200
> > Jabber-ID: zedek@im.lolica.org
> > From: maillaxa@gmail.com
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > All my friends report problems when reading my mails :(
>
> Tell them to switch to another mail program (such as Rmail ;-).  None
> of my friends report any problems reading my mails.

Lucky you :) I tried several times to convert them but Thunderbird and
mutt are definetely their choices ...

On the other hand, do you know how I can view/write MIME mails ? I have
tried several methods found on the Internet but none gave me
satisfaction. rmail-mbox-branch has been pretty cool about that but it
seems the branch is no longer evolving :(

Thank you

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-16  3:12       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-16  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: maillaxa@gmail.com
> Date: 15 Jul 2006 15:29:58 -0700
>
> On the other hand, do you know how I can view/write MIME mails ? I have
> tried several methods found on the Internet but none gave me
> satisfaction. rmail-mbox-branch has been pretty cool about that but it
> seems the branch is no longer evolving :(

The rmail branch will be merged with the mainstream after Emacs 22.1
is released.

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-17 20:54 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-07-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

maillaxa@gmail.com wrote:
> Dunno why but it seems I no longer send valid mail using Rmail.

Did you used to be able to?  What has changed since then?

> They just contain no header except From, Subject, To, Date, Message-Id.

That is perfectly valid, of course.  A Content-Type header is pointless in
the absence of a MIME-Version header.

> What should I check ??

C-h v mail-default-headers
C-h v mail-setup-hook
C-h v mail-send-hook

--
Kevin Rodgers
Sr. Software Engineer, IHS

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-17 22:47   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-07-17 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
	   FROM_ENDS_IN_NUMS,RCVD_BY_IP,RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO autolearn=no
	   version=3.0.4

   maillaxa@gmail.com wrote:
   > Dunno why but it seems I no longer send valid mail using Rmail.

   Did you used to be able to?  What has changed since then?

In fact I really do not know. I jsut received several mails indicating
problems with my posts.

   > They just contain no header except From, Subject, To, Date, Message-Id.

   That is perfectly valid, of course.  A Content-Type header is pointless in
   the absence of a MIME-Version header.

Yes, I have just read the RFC again and this is perfectly valid.

   > What should I check ??

   C-h v mail-default-headers
   C-h v mail-setup-hook
   C-h v mail-send-hook

All are good, according to my knowledge (I just have added two
headers: User-Agent and Jabber-ID)

Thank you.

Xavier

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-17 22:49       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2006-07-17 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

maillaxa@gmail.com writes:

>> > All my friends report problems when reading my mails :(
>
> Lucky you :) I tried several times to convert them but Thunderbird and
> mutt are definetely their choices ...

Thunderbird and Mutt do not have problems with plain text mails.

What is the actual problem they are reporting?

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-18  1:14         ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2006-07-18  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <ur70jn8y1.fsf@jasonrumney.net>,
 jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com wrote:

> > Lucky you :) I tried several times to convert them but Thunderbird and
> > mutt are definetely their choices ...
>
> Thunderbird and Mutt do not have problems with plain text mails.
>
> What is the actual problem they are reporting?

He mentioned previously (maybe in a different thread) that he's sending
mail with non-ASCII characters (e.g. accented characters).  These *do*
need a Content-type header to indicate the encoding scheme.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: Rmail does not put a Content-type header
@ 2006-07-18  9:40         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2006-07-18  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   What is the actual problem they are reporting?

Mails containing accentuated characters are not displayed correctly
(with isoteric symbols instead of the accentuated character).

I can confirm this behaviour; I checked on my gmail account and there
is the same problem.

Cheers,

Xavier