all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09  1:02 Matthew Flaschen
       [not found] ` <mailman.415.1178675114.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-05-09  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying end-of-line
words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to move to the next
line.  I thought text mode might do this, but apparently not.  Is there
an option for this?

Thanks,

Matt Flaschen

* Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09  1:43 ` Amy Templeton
       [not found] ` <mailman.415.1178675114.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-09  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu) wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying
> end-of-line words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to
> move to the next line. I thought text mode might do this, but
> apparently not. Is there an option for this?

Try turning on auto-fill-mode (M-x auto-fill-mode), if it's not
already on. If it doesn't automagically wrap your lines where you'd
like them wrapped, hit C-u (column number you'd like 'em wrapped
at) C-x f, which will set the fill-column to the desired number. If
you customize the variable fill-column, I think it will set it for
all buffers you can open now and in the future.

If the above is the desired behavior, try adding this to your
.emacs file:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

and then evaluate it by placing the cursor at the end of the line
and hitting C-e to load it for this session (I'm sorry if you
already know this, but I figure it's better to be thorough the
first time around just in case). Next time you start emacs, it'll
be automatically evaluated; its effect is to turn on auto-fill-mode
whenever you enter text mode.

I hope that's helpful!

Amy

@ 2007-05-09  2:29   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2007-05-09  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu) wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying
>> end-of-line words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to
>> move to the next line. I thought text mode might do this, but
>> apparently not. Is there an option for this?
>
> Try turning on auto-fill-mode (M-x auto-fill-mode), if it's not
> already on. If it doesn't automagically wrap your lines where you'd
> like them wrapped, hit C-u (column number you'd like 'em wrapped
> at) C-x f, which will set the fill-column to the desired number. If
> you customize the variable fill-column, I think it will set it for
> all buffers you can open now and in the future.
>
> If the above is the desired behavior, try adding this to your
> .emacs file:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
> and then evaluate it by placing the cursor at the end of the line
> and hitting C-e to load it for this session (I'm sorry if you
> already know this, but I figure it's better to be thorough the
> first time around just in case). Next time you start emacs, it'll
> be automatically evaluated; its effect is to turn on auto-fill-mode
> whenever you enter text mode.
>
> I hope that's helpful!
>
> Amy

C-e (Ende) goes to end of line and C-a (Anfang) to the beginning, no?
You meant C-x C-e

* Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09  7:21   ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-05-09  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Amy Templeton wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu) wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying
>> end-of-line words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to
>> move to the next line. I thought text mode might do this, but
>> apparently not. Is there an option for this?
>
> Try turning on auto-fill-mode (M-x auto-fill-mode), if it's not
> already on.
> If the above is the desired behavior, try adding this to your
> .emacs file:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

Thank you very much.  That mode will be useful when I'm writing plain
text documents in emacs.

> I hope that's helpful!

It is. :) It's about time I figure out how emacs handles filling.  One
more thing.  When I open a document that isn't filled, I'd like it to be
filled automatically, but only for display (not changing the actual
file).  fill-region works, but it modifies the file.

@ 2007-05-09  7:29     ` Daniel Rubin
From: Daniel Rubin @ 2007-05-09  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> When I open a document that isn't filled, I'd like it to be
> filled automatically, but only for display (not changing the actual
> file).  fill-region works, but it modifies the file.
You might want to take a look at longlines-mode.  I haven't used it
much, but I dimly remember it worked fine for this purpose once.

Have fun
----Daniel

--
Daniel Rubin
daniel warum-ada de

* Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09  7:33       ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-05-09  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Daniel Rubin wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> When I open a document that isn't filled, I'd like it to be
>> filled automatically, but only for display (not changing the actual
>> file).  fill-region works, but it modifies the file.
> You might want to take a look at longlines-mode.  I haven't used it
> much, but I dimly remember it worked fine for this purpose once.

Thanks very much to you and Maciej (who suggested this just before).
That works perfectly, and is /much/ better than filling every document
permanently (I still might fill some if they will be redistributed).

@ 2007-05-09 18:03     ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Amy Templeton wrote:
> > [--SNIP!--]
> > [...] then evaluate it by placing the cursor at the end of the
> > line and hitting C-e to load it for this session

> C-e (Ende) goes to end of line and C-a (Anfang) to the beginning,
> no? You meant C-x C-e

Whoops! That is exactly what I meant, yes. Thank you for catching
that.

Amy

--
Ignorance is when you don't know anything and somebody finds it
out.

* Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09 18:09     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-05-09 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:29:53 -0500 B. T. Raven wrote:

> C-e (Ende) goes to end of line and C-a (Anfang) to the beginning, no?
> You meant C-x C-e

So the Emacs key bindings are part of some German conspiracy?!

* Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
@ 2007-05-09 18:49       ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2007 21:29:53 -0500 B. T. Raven wrote:

> > C-e (Ende) goes to end of line and C-a (Anfang) to the beginning, no?
> > You meant C-x C-e

> So the Emacs key bindings are part of some German conspiracy?!

Haven't you heard? It's all part of Richard Moritz Stalheimer's
(alias:  Richard Matthew Stallman) master plan to take over the
world and FORCE people to use free software.

Amy

--
Inform all the troops that communications have completely broken
down.