all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* grammar check for latex in emacs
@ 2007-07-18 11:30 rajeshthomas
From: rajeshthomas @ 2007-07-18 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using emacs + auctex to write some latex documents.
i have configured Aspell for emacs and it works perfect.

i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
way to configure emacs to do this? i don't need a very sophisticated
grammar checker. just a simple one like changing to uppercase the
first letter of a word after a sentence, repeated words, etc.

Thanks,
R. Thomas

* Re: grammar check for latex in emacs
@ 2007-07-18 22:06 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rajeshthomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2007 um 13:30 schrieb rajeshthomas@gmail.com:

> i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
> way to configure emacs to do this?

GNU Emacs won't do it. It's something like an editor and not a
spelling checker. You can use a (free) book on LaTeX in LaTeX (or
PDF) and feed it into Aspell ("spellchecking" it) so that Aspell can
learn all the LaTeX macros and commands and environment names and ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
                      origin unknown

* Re: grammar check for latex in emacs
@ 2007-07-18 23:05 ` David Hansen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Hansen @ 2007-07-18 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:30:12 -0700 rajeshthomas@gmail.com wrote:

> i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
> way to configure emacs to do this? i don't need a very sophisticated
> grammar checker. just a simple one like changing to uppercase the
> first letter of a word after a sentence, repeated words, etc.

At least the repeated words are highlighted by flyspell.  I think for
everything else there is no ready to use solution.

David

* Re: grammar check for latex in emacs
@ 2007-07-19 14:07 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2007-07-19 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rajeshthomas@gmail.com wrote:

> i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
> way to configure emacs to do this? i don't need a very sophisticated
> grammar checker. just a simple one like changing to uppercase the
> first letter of a word after a sentence, repeated words, etc.

Do you want checking or changing?

An idea for sort-of checking: To highlight those small letters, you
could add this:

(highlight-regexp "\\.[\n\r\t ]+[[:lower:]]") to your

mode hook.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: grammar check for latex in emacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-07-20  2:50 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-07-20  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rajeshthomas@gmail.com writes:

> I am using emacs + auctex to write some latex documents.
> i have configured Aspell for emacs and it works perfect.
>
> i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
> way to configure emacs to do this? i don't need a very sophisticated
> grammar checker. just a simple one like changing to uppercase the
> first letter of a word after a sentence, repeated words, etc.

Do you mean check LaTeX grammer or check the grammar of your writing?

If you are referring to LaTeX, there is lacheck, which may achieve what you
want. If your talking about your writing grammar, I don't know of anything.

regards,

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: grammar check for latex in emacs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-07-20 10:27 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2007-07-20 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rajeshthomas@gmail.com writes:

> I am using emacs + auctex to write some latex documents.
> i have configured Aspell for emacs and it works perfect.
>
> i need to correct grammar mistakes in my latex document. is there any
> way to configure emacs to do this? i don't need a very sophisticated
> grammar checker. just a simple one like changing to uppercase the
> first letter of a word after a sentence, repeated words, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> R. Thomas

Flyspell-mode will check for doubled words, coloring the second one,
as well as checking spelling on the fly.

Auto-capitalize.el will capitalize words at the beginning of a
sentence. It doesn't work properly with refill-mode but seems to do
well with longlines.el. I always have it on.

Neither of these actually checks grammar, though.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.