all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* (another's PC) NTemacs -- how much disk taken up? (ditto: cygwin)
@ 2007-07-20  3:58 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2007-07-20  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(no PC here -- have sunblade 100 (sparc) -- but wife does)

I'd like to put onto *her* computer:

   ntemacs

   (and (of course?)) cygwin

Anyone know (from experience) how much disk space each
of these take up?

I need this for:

    Nah, no sweat, honey, since ntemacs takes only 17.5 gigs,
     and cygwin 8.2.      :-)

Also -- suppose I have my own directory, C:/dkcombs, say,
and want (*need*!) to interact the absolute minimum with
anything outside of that (to avoid (well, reduce) the possibility of
any later finger-pointing) --

.  can these two things simply live in my C:/dkcombs dir?

.  can that also include the "binaries" that actually get run?
      eg bash, grep, ...?

.  what *must* be changed in the "registry" (whatever that is!)?

.  if eventually needed (perhaps *demanded*), how easy/difficult
   to "uninstall" all this?

THANKS!

David

* Re: (another's PC) NTemacs -- how much disk taken up? (ditto: cygwin)
@ 2007-07-20  8:11 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-07-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20 Jul, 04:58, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> Anyone know (from experience) how much disk space each
> of these take up?

emacs: (no source): 132Mb    (full source and intermediate files from
build): 240Mb

cygwin: depends on what you install.

> .  can these two things simply live in my C:/dkcombs dir?

Emacs certainly can.

> .  what *must* be changed in the "registry" (whatever that is!)?

Nothing for Emacs. Just unzip and avoid running addpm.exe (which does
modify the registry and creates shortcuts in the Start menu).

> .  if eventually needed (perhaps *demanded*), how easy/difficult
>    to "uninstall" all this?

Just delete the directory if there are no registry entries.

* Re: (another's PC) NTemacs -- how much disk taken up? (ditto: cygwin)
@ 2007-07-20 13:46 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-07-20 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> (no PC here -- have sunblade 100 (sparc) -- but wife does)
>
> I'd like to put onto *her* computer:
>
>    ntemacs
>
>    (and (of course?)) cygwin
>

> Anyone know (from experience) how much disk space each
> of these take up?

I have a (99%, I think) complete install of cygwin on my machine, using emacs
as my main editor, and altogether it takes up 2.5G.  Some of that space is
recoverable, as I could delete the setup ftp archives, but I can live with
that.

Dave

* Re: (another's PC) NTemacs -- how much disk taken up? (ditto: cygwin)
@ 2007-07-20 15:59 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-07-20 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    David> .  what *must* be changed in the "registry" (whatever that
    David> is!)?

You don't have to make any manual changes to the registry, but the
Cygwin installer will add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions"
and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions".  To uninstall
Cygwin, you just delete the directory where you installed it; the
directory where you told it to cache downloaded stuff; and those two
registry keys.

--
I'm a libertarian with a fascist heart.
        -- Jim Blandy