all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing the shell prompt
       [not found] <20070730104622.96BC59E82E0@ufc.univ-fcomte.fr>
@ 2007-07-30 12:43 ` David
       [not found] ` <mailman.4123.1185799387.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2007-07-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My current shell prompt in emacs shows as...

^[[01;32mdave@dell-1^[[00m:^[[01;34m~^[[00m$

actually, reviewing this email in a terminal I don't see all that
mess, instead I just see

dave@dell-1:~$

If I change directory the directory path gets included, e.g. in emacs shell...

^[[01;32mdave@dell-1^[[00m:^[[01;34m~/programmingTutorials/kernighan_n_ritchie^[[00m$

which in the terminal shows as ...

dave@dell-1:~/programmingTutorials/kernighan_n_ritchie$

I know I can change the shell prompt at the command line with

PS1="$ "

I have three questions.

1) How can I configure the emacs shell with a simple default shell prompt?

2) The usefulness of inclussion / exclussion of path in the prompt is
task and path dependant so is their an easy way to toggle this option on/off?

3) How can I stop emacs displaying rambling strings of code at the
shell prompt and to show instead the information that the code is
suposed to convey (as in the terminal).

4) If the path is very long and takes up a lot of space on a line can
I just display the last two or three directories in the path or
perhaps the first and last directories seperated by ... ?

OK, not quite three, but anyway... ;o)
peace
Dave

* Re: changing the shell prompt
@ 2007-07-30 13:44   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-07-30 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dpleydel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.07.2007 um 14:43 schrieb David:

> My current shell prompt in emacs shows as...
>
> ^[[01;32mdave@dell-1^[[00m:^[[01;34m~^[[00m$

In GNU Emacs 22 you can invoke

	ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on

to make *shell* buffer interpret certain ANSI Esc sequences (you can
also put into an init file). You can use a file ~/.emacs_<shell
interpreter's name> to adjust some settings for *shell* buffer. You
would need to use that shell interpreter's syntax. For example, if
your login shell is bash and you put

	PS1="$ "

into ~/.emacs_bash than you'll have a much shorter and monochrome
prompt ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!

@ 2007-07-30 15:08   ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-07-30 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter made some good suggestions; in addition, you can use *ansi-term*
(M-x ansi-term RET).  This handles my zsh prompt theme just fine.
Also, look into Dired, I have stopped using the shell for a lot of
things since I'm now getting more out of Dired (read: using more of
its functions as a result of learning how to use it).  I spend very
little time in a terminal and much more time in Emacs, which I am of
course happy about.

Of course, if you want to run vi within Emacs... ;)

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

"Today in the Western world only children argue this way,
and only children believe the earth is at rest."
 	 -Thomas S. Kuhn, _The Copernican Revolution_, pg 44

* Re: changing the shell prompt
@ 2007-07-30 15:40     ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-07-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs