all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 23.0.50; Emacs aborts with detached GTK+ tool bar
@ 2007-11-04 13:24 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-11-04 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On recent (since September 2) GTK+ builds, Emacs aborts when you detach
the tool bar and then click on the down arrow button to expand the
hidden buttons.  This is caused by this change:

2007-09-02  Jan Djärv  <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>

	* gtkutil.c (update_frame_tool_bar): Handle stock name as a named icon
	if it starts with "n:".

I attempted to debug in gdb; here's the output when the abort occurs:

  (emacs:19177): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

  Gtk-ERROR **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 2641 (gtk_container_propagate_expose): assertion failed: (child->parent == GTK_WIDGET (container))
  aborting...
  [Switching to Thread 0xb6ec66c0 (LWP 19177)]

  Breakpoint 1, abort () at emacs.c:431
  431       kill (getpid (), SIGABRT);

At this point my desktop (I tried in KDE, GNOME and twm, same behavior
in all) is totally locked up, but I can switch to a virtual tty and
there kill emacs with SIGKILL (kill -9); SIGTERM (kill -15) does not do
the job.  This releases the desktop, but gdb delivers no further
feedback:

  (gdb) xbacktrace
  Cannot access memory at address 0x8321b6c
  (gdb) bt
  #0  abort () at emacs.c:431
  Cannot access memory at address 0xbfd6836c
  Cannot access memory at address 0x8321b6c

Setting a break point at abort() in emacs.c makes no difference.  I
don't have the GTK+ source code so I cannot debug it there.

Note it is only clicking the down arrow that induces the abort; Emacs
functions fine with the tool bar detached and the buttons hidden.

Steve Berman

* Re: 23.0.50; Emacs aborts with detached GTK+ tool bar
@ 2007-11-06  9:32 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2007-11-06  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stephen Berman skrev:
> On recent (since September 2) GTK+ builds, Emacs aborts when you detach
> the tool bar and then click on the down arrow button to expand the
> hidden buttons.  This is caused by this change:

Sorry, I missed a place.  Now fixed.

	Jan D.

* Re: 23.0.50; Emacs aborts with detached GTK+ tool bar
@ 2007-11-06 13:34   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-11-06 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:32:21 +0100 Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> wrote:

> Stephen Berman skrev:
>> On recent (since September 2) GTK+ builds, Emacs aborts when you detach
>> the tool bar and then click on the down arrow button to expand the
>> hidden buttons.  This is caused by this change:
>
> Sorry, I missed a place.  Now fixed.
>
> 	Jan D.

Confirmed; thanks!

Steve Berman