all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* access into windows shared files
@ 2007-11-24  8:09 cire
From: cire @ 2007-11-24  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I need to edit some file from a windows NT server shared directory,
but i don't know how emacs able to access that. Now I keeping
copy the files to local to edit and paste them again to the source
directory,
that made too much work...

* Re: access into windows shared files
@ 2007-11-24  9:41 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.4016.1195897293.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-24  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cire; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.11.2007 um 09:09 schrieb cire:

> I need to edit some file from a windows NT server shared directory,

Mount that directory and edit the file locally. Or use TRAMP or ange-
ftp to do it remotely.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
         than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
         bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.

@ 2007-11-24 11:05   ` cire
From: cire @ 2007-11-24 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 24, 5:41 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 24.11.2007 um 09:09 schrieb cire:
>
> > I need to edit some file from a windows NT server shared directory,
>
> Mount that directory and edit the file locally. Or use TRAMP or ange-
> ftp to do it remotely.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
>          The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
>          than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
>          bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.

alright, thanks Peter

@ 2007-11-24 11:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.4019.1195904603.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-11-24 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: cire <cppiii@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:09:29 -0800 (PST)
>
> I need to edit some file from a windows NT server shared directory,
> but i don't know how emacs able to access that.

Emacs on Windows supports the \\server\share\ UNC notation.  Did you
try that?

@ 2007-11-25  5:26   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-11-25  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: cire <cppiii@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:09:29 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> I need to edit some file from a windows NT server shared directory,
>> but i don't know how emacs able to access that.
>
> Emacs on Windows supports the \\server\share\ UNC notation.  Did you
> try that?

and if your on linux, you can mount the NT filesystem so that its just
another directory or use smbclient. I suspect you could also define a tramp
method as well.

tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au