all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* simple color scheme
@ 2008-06-08  2:01 peter hodgson
From: peter hodgson @ 2008-06-08  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ubuntu [hardy]
 emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
   gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
slackware [12.0]
 emacs: 22.2-i486-1

i need to get rid of the complex color schemes in my gnus mail buffer,
 (Message MML Fly +Chg Abbrev Fill)
and my major emacs composing mode,
  (Parindent Fly +Chg);

i want a white [not gray] background,
black foreground,
and yellow for spelling mistakes;

do i have to purge all mention of color from .bashrc, .bash_profile,
/etc/X11/Xresources, etc.?

can i start over with a few simple lines? i've googled and read up on
this topic, but nothing i've tried can even get rid of the gray
background;

send me to the appropriate info source; thanks, imputerate

* Re: simple color scheme
       [not found] <mailman.12889.1212890043.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-06-08 10:27 ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2008-06-08 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

peter hodgson <imputerate@puteracy.com> writes:

> i need to get rid of the complex color schemes in my gnus mail buffer,
>  (Message MML Fly +Chg Abbrev Fill)
> and my major emacs composing mode,
>   (Parindent Fly +Chg);

Setup corresponding faces via `M-x customize-face ... `. Message-related
faces have prefix `message-`.

> i want a white [not gray] background,
> black foreground,
> and yellow for spelling mistakes;
>
> do i have to purge all mention of color from .bashrc, .bash_profile,
> /etc/X11/Xresources, etc.?
>
> can i start over with a few simple lines? i've googled and read up on
> this topic, but nothing i've tried can even get rid of the gray
> background;

Set white background in default face.

See `color-theme.el` package (AFAIR it's bundled with modern GNU Emacs),
you might consider creating your own color theme package.

--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: simple color scheme
@ 2008-06-08 14:02   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-06-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:27:20 +0400, Dmitry Dzhus <mail@sphinx.net.ru> wrote:
> See `color-theme.el` package (AFAIR it's bundled with modern GNU
> Emacs), you might consider creating your own color theme package.

It isn't, but it's easy to find through the Emacs Wiki.

* Re: simple color scheme
@ 2008-06-08 18:23 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-06-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter hodgson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

peter hodgson <imputerate@puteracy.com> writes:

> ubuntu [hardy]
>  emacs: 22.1-0ubuntu10
>    gnus: 5.11+v0.5.dfsg
> slackware [12.0]
>  emacs: 22.2-i486-1
>
> i need to get rid of the complex color schemes in my gnus mail buffer,
>  (Message MML Fly +Chg Abbrev Fill)
> and my major emacs composing mode,
>   (Parindent Fly +Chg);
>
> i want a white [not gray] background,
> black foreground,
> and yellow for spelling mistakes;
>
> do i have to purge all mention of color from .bashrc, .bash_profile,
> /etc/X11/Xresources, etc.?
>
> can i start over with a few simple lines? i've googled and read up on
> this topic, but nothing i've tried can even get rid of the gray
> background;
>
> send me to the appropriate info source; thanks, imputerate

Try customizing gnus-visual. Or turn of font-lock: M-x font-lock-mode
RET.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson