all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to evaluating expressions in *inferior-lisp* buffer  programatically?
@ 2009-03-14 16:07 budu
From: budu @ 2009-03-14 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I've been using Emacs for a few year, but I'm just starting to
customize it more deeply. I wonder what is the recommended way of
evaluating expressions in the current *inferior-lisp* buffer
programatically? I know macros would certainly be OK for such a simple
task, yet I tried with elisp and come up with this:

    (save-current-buffer
      (set-buffer "*inferior-lisp*")
      (insert "(use '(foo [bar]))")
      (lisp-eval-last-sexp)
      (let ((s (point)))
        (backward-sexp)
        (delete-region s (point))))

Do you know of a more straightforward way of doing this? And do you
know of any good tutorial on basic elisp? Thanks

- budu

* Re: How to evaluating expressions in *inferior-lisp* buffer programatically?
@ 2009-03-14 16:24 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-14 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

budu <nbuduroi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I've been using Emacs for a few year, but I'm just starting to
> customize it more deeply. I wonder what is the recommended way of
> evaluating expressions in the current *inferior-lisp* buffer
> programatically? I know macros would certainly be OK for such a simple
> task, yet I tried with elisp and come up with this:
>
>     (save-current-buffer
>       (set-buffer "*inferior-lisp*")
>       (insert "(use '(foo [bar]))")
>       (lisp-eval-last-sexp)
>       (let ((s (point)))
>         (backward-sexp)
>         (delete-region s (point))))
>
> Do you know of a more straightforward way of doing this? And do you
> know of any good tutorial on basic elisp? Thanks

(defun eval-in-inferior-lisp (expression-string)
  (comint-send-string (inferior-lisp-proc) (format " %s\n" expression-string))
  (switch-to-lisp t))

(eval-in-inferior-lisp "(- 22/7 cl:pi)")

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: How to evaluating expressions in *inferior-lisp* buffer  programatically?
@ 2009-03-14 19:15   ` budu
From: budu @ 2009-03-14 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 14, 12:24 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> budu <nbudu...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi, I've been using Emacs for a few year, but I'm just starting to
> > customize it more deeply. I wonder what is the recommended way of
> > evaluating expressions in the current *inferior-lisp* buffer
> > programatically? I know macros would certainly be OK for such a simple
> > task, yet I tried with elisp and come up with this:
>
> >     (save-current-buffer
> >       (set-buffer "*inferior-lisp*")
> >       (insert "(use '(foo [bar]))")
> >       (lisp-eval-last-sexp)
> >       (let ((s (point)))
> >         (backward-sexp)
> >         (delete-region s (point))))
>
> > Do you know of a more straightforward way of doing this? And do you
> > know of any good tutorial on basic elisp? Thanks
>
> (defun eval-in-inferior-lisp (expression-string)
>   (comint-send-string (inferior-lisp-proc) (format " %s\n" expression-string))
>   (switch-to-lisp t))
>
> (eval-in-inferior-lisp "(- 22/7 cl:pi)")
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

Great! This will be much cleaner. Thanks

* Re: How to evaluating expressions in *inferior-lisp* buffer programatically?
@ 2009-03-14 19:54     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-03-14 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

budu <nbuduroi@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 14, 12:24 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> budu <nbudu...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Do you know of a more straightforward way of doing this? And do you
>> > know of any good tutorial on basic elisp? Thanks
>>
>> (defun eval-in-inferior-lisp (expression-string)
>>   (comint-send-string (inferior-lisp-proc) (format " %s\n" expression-string))
>>   (switch-to-lisp t))
>>
>> (eval-in-inferior-lisp "(- 22/7 cl:pi)")
>
> Great! This will be much cleaner. Thanks

Notice that when you use slime, you can also call emacs functions from
the inferior lisp.  http://paste.lisp.org/display/22414
(it's a little old, I don't know if it still works with current
versions of slime).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__