all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-20 11:37 waterloo
From: waterloo @ 2009-06-20 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .

Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?

I need english and chnese .

Thanks

* RE: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-20 23:04 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-06-20 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'waterloo', help-gnu-emacs

> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
> I need english and chnese

This might (or might not) help, in addition to what people here might offer:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GoodFonts

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
       [not found] <mailman.1010.1245536389.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-06-21  8:16 ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-06-21  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

waterloo schrieb:
 > the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
 >
 > Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?

I recommend dina font:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Jibz/Dina/index.html

regards
Marc

@ 2009-06-21  9:33 ` Peter Breitfeld
From: Peter Breitfeld @ 2009-06-21  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

waterloo wrote:

> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
>
> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
>
> I need english and chnese .
>
> Thanks

I like "Inconsolata"

http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

or "Envy Code R"

http://damieng.com/blog/2008/05/26/envy-code-r-preview-7-coding-font-released

Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany -- http://www.pBreitfeld.de

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-21  9:49 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-06-21  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: waterloo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-06-20 19:37 (+0800), waterloo wrote:

> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
>
> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?

I have been satisfied with these:

    -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso10646-1
    -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1
    -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1

They should be installed by default if you are using Linux or an
Unix-like system which uses X.org.

@ 2009-06-21 15:29 ` Michael Ekstrand
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1032.1245605769.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Ekstrand @ 2009-06-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

waterloo <waterloo2005@gmail.com> writes:
> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
>
> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
>
> I need english and chnese .

What operating system and GUI toolkit are you using?

One of the major improvements in Emacs 23 (currently in
development/pretest) is better support for fonts and Unicode on
Un*x-like/X11 systems.  I have been unable to get good fonts working
well in Emacs 22, but with Emacs 23 pretest/snapshot I find DejaVu Sans
Mono to be highly readable (and I believe that it has fairly good
Unicode coverage).

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-21 17:29   ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1032.1245605769.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-06-21 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:

(x-list-fonts "*")

If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
source to browse all these fonts visually.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* RE: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-21 17:44     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-06-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Thierry Volpiatto', help-gnu-emacs

> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
> (x-list-fonts "*")
>
> If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
> source to browse all these fonts visually.

Command `icicle-font' - browse visually, cycle, filter on font description
parts, etc. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-06-24 13:41   ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-06-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Breitfeld schrieb:
 > waterloo wrote:
 >
 >> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
 >>
 >> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
 >>
 >> I need english and chnese .
 >>
 >> Thanks
 >
 > I like "Inconsolata"
 >
 > http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html
 >
 > or "Envy Code R"
 >
 > http://damieng.com/blog/2008/05/26/envy-code-r-preview-7-coding-font-released

I must say your Envy R is as from now my favorite font and it replaced
my previous number one - Dina font! Simply pretty and very well readable!

Big thanks!

Regards
Marc

@ 2009-07-15 11:36     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-07-15 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.1032.1245605769.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Thierry Volpiatto  <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>
>(x-list-fonts "*")
>
>If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
>source to browse all these fonts visually.

Please, what and where ius this anything-config.el?

David

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-15 12:15       ` Anselm Helbig
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2548.1247662203.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Anselm Helbig @ 2009-07-15 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:36:36 +0000 (UTC),
dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> In article <mailman.1032.1245605769.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Thierry Volpiatto  <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> >You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
> >
> >(x-list-fonts "*")
> >
> >If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
> >source to browse all these fonts visually.
> >

> Please, what and where ius this anything-config.el?

Well, it's on the emacswiki, of course:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/anything-config.el

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig
mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-15 12:43       ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2548.1247662203.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-15 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el

--

@ 2009-07-15 16:50         ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2584.1247686398.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-07-15 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:43:18 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el
TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything

Thierry,

how often is the EmacsWiki anything-config.el refreshed from Git
(git://repo.or.cz/anything-config.git)?

Ted

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-15 19:26           ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]           ` <mailman.2584.1247686398.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-15 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted,
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:43:18 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el
> TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything
>
> Thierry,
>
> how often is the EmacsWiki anything-config.el refreshed from Git
> (git://repo.or.cz/anything-config.git)?

Every time we make change on the git repo, we also update emacswiki
file.
It should be update actually.

--

@ 2009-07-16 16:27             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-07-16 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:26:34 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:43:18 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/anything-config.el
TV> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/Anything
>>
>> Thierry,
>>
>> how often is the EmacsWiki anything-config.el refreshed from Git
>> (git://repo.or.cz/anything-config.git)?

TV> Every time we make change on the git repo, we also update emacswiki
TV> file.  It should be update actually.

Great, thanks!

Ted

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 10:26       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>>
>> If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
>> source to browse all these fonts visually.
>
> Command `icicle-font' - browse visually, cycle, filter on font description
> parts, etc. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles

I'm not sure what is supposed to happen with that... but what I get is
an unkillable monster that takes over my entire desktop. After
load-library and icy-mode
Using command M-x icicle-font

First it hangs for several minutes and then pops up a massive instance
of emacs so big it prevents any usage at all.  Finally dragging enough
of the monster to the left and finding the X in right hand
corner... but it doesn't affect this big useless brute.

Finally closed with kill-all command. from OS.

Appears to need a tab bit of work.

I use a very large desktop. 2048 x 1536  Apparently icicles wants to
operate in full screen mode.   Is that necessary?

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 10:30     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>
> (x-list-fonts "*")

Can anyone tell how to unwrap that into a line for each name?

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 10:37     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>
> (x-list-fonts "*")

What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
12 are listed.

xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 10:52       ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-07-20 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>
>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>
> What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
> 12 are listed.
>
> xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'

is
M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB

any better?

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 10:56         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>>>
>>> If you use anything package, you will find in anything-config.el a
>>> source to browse all these fonts visually.
>>
>> Command `icicle-font' - browse visually, cycle, filter on font description
>> parts, etc. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles
>
> I'm not sure what is supposed to happen with that... but what I get is
> an unkillable monster that takes over my entire desktop. After
> load-library and icy-mode
> Using command M-x icicle-font
>
> First it hangs for several minutes and then pops up a massive instance
> of emacs so big it prevents any usage at all.  Finally dragging enough
> of the monster to the left and finding the X in right hand
> corner... but it doesn't affect this big useless brute.
>
> Finally closed with kill-all command. from OS.
>
> Appears to need a tab bit of work.
>
> I use a very large desktop. 2048 x 1536  Apparently icicles wants to
> operate in full screen mode.   Is that necessary?

Drew, I may have opened my big mouth a bit early above... on a second
try I'm politely prompted to insert a font name/string/regex.

Not sure what I may have done... to cause the first situation... when
emacs sort of froze I may have pressed or click something to cause the
full screen buffer to expand.

But this time, having loaded icicles, and set icy-mode, it appears to
have destroyed completion at the M-x cmdline.

For example... there is no completion for M-x icicles-<spc> or <tab>
Also it apparently expects some specialized name to be inserted.
Things like `*' or `adobe' get the error message:
 [no-prefix-completion].

Your comment: "filter on font description parts" would seem to indicate
some part of font name but I find only something beginning with '-'
works.  So a very special part of font name.

For example `-'  causes all fonts to be listed, while
`adobe' fails to list any and gives the message:
  [no-prefix-completion]

And `-adobe' appears to list all adobe fonts.

But something like `-.*bold'  fails.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 11:34       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-20 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>
>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>
> What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
> 12 are listed.

How did you count the number of fonts found?

> xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'

What is the output of:

(length (x-list-fonts "*"))

For me it is 4968.

--

@ 2009-07-20 13:50           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-20 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Harry Putnam', help-gnu-emacs

> Drew, I may have opened my big mouth a bit early above... on a second
> try I'm politely prompted to insert a font name/string/regex.
>
> Not sure what I may have done... to cause the first situation... when
> emacs sort of froze I may have pressed or click something to cause the
> full screen buffer to expand.

Dunno what happened. Sorry for your trouble.

> But this time, having loaded icicles, and set icy-mode, it appears to
> have destroyed completion at the M-x cmdline.

Are you using a window manager or using Emacs just with a terminal?

Icicles should work in both cases, but I have no experience with the latter, and
the user experience will be different in some ways. In particular, some of the
default Icicles key bindings will not work (because those keys are typically not
available in a terminal).

> For example... there is no completion for M-x icicles-<spc> or <tab>
> Also it apparently expects some specialized name to be inserted.
> Things like `*' or `adobe' get the error message:
>  [no-prefix-completion].

That sounds correct, actually. The prefix for Icicles commands and variables is
`icicle-', not `icicles-'. And SPC is self-inserting, by default - it does not
perform completion.

TAB should perform completion, however. It is font specs (full names, if you
like) that are the completion candidates. On my system (Windows), all of the
candidates start with `-outline' or `-raster'. When you use TAB, `*' is matched
literally, not as a wildcard.

If you use S-TAB instead, then `*' is a regexp wildcard, so to match a `*' you
need to use, for example, `[*]' or `\*'. However, you can turn off regexp
wildcards using `C-`' (during completion) - then, S-TAB does substring
completion. In that case, you can type, e.g., `c-*-' to match all font specs
that contain that string literally.

Example.
M-x icicle-font RET
Lucida S-TAB

That shows all font specs that contain `Lucida'.

M-k

That erases the minibuffer input.

Courier.*normal-14 S-TAB

That matches all font specs that have `Courier' followed perhaps by something,
followed by `normal-14'.

You can type more input to narrow things down. And/or you can cycle among
candidates using the Page Up/Down keys (`prior', `next'), with S-TAB, or the
up/down arrow keys, with TAB - then RET to choose one.

> Your comment: "filter on font description parts" would seem
> to indicate some part of font name but I find only something
> beginning with '-' works.  So a very special part of font name.

Me too. All font specs returned by `x-list-fonts', at least on my machine
(Windows), begin with `-'.

Icicles just uses `x-list-fonts' to get the list of available fonts. Then it
makes these available as completion candidates. Your minibuffer input then
filters those.

If you use TAB to complete, then your input must start with `-', since it must
be a completion prefix. If you use S-TAB instead, your input can be just a
substring or a regexp to match against the candidates. If you hit TAB or S-TAB
with the minibuffer empty, you will see all available fonts.

> For example `-'  causes all fonts to be listed, while
> `adobe' fails to list any and gives the message:
> [no-prefix-completion]
>
> And `-adobe' appears to list all adobe fonts.

Yes, that all makes sense. See if my explanation above helps.

> But something like `-.*bold'  fails.

With TAB it should fail, since you don't have a font that has those seven chars
as a prefix. But with S-TAB it should succeed, as should just `.*bold'.

HTH. If my description doesn't seem to correspond to what you experience, and
you think there might be a bug, please use `M-x icicle-report-bug'. Be sure to
specify your Emacs version.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 15:22         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> writes:

>>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>>
>>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>>
>> What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
>> 12 are listed.
>>
>> xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'
>>
> is
> M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB
>
> any better?

Yup... it shows 1290 and on nice lines too

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 15:32         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>>>
>>> (x-list-fonts "*")
>>
>> What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
>> 12 are listed.
>
> How did you count the number of fonts found?

Captured the output of EVAL: (x-list-fonts "*")
("-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-koi8-r" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1" ...)

I guess the `...' means a whole herd was elided

>> xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'
>
> What is the output of:
>
> (length (x-list-fonts "*"))

> For me it is 4968.

Here it's 1287

But when the item was introduced into the thread it was presented as a way
to see `all' fonts.

Thierry V. wrote in Message-ID: <87eitdqyvg.fsf@tux.homenetwork>

 > You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:

 > (x-list-fonts "*")

Did you mean to be used some other way than eval?

Using completion as Bernardo suggests:
> M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB

Does appear to list them all... and with nice newlines.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 15:37             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-20 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

>> Not sure what I may have done... to cause the first situation... when
>> emacs sort of froze I may have pressed or click something to cause the
>> full screen buffer to expand.
>
> Dunno what happened. Sorry for your trouble.

Some fat handed thing on my part apparently..

>> But this time, having loaded icicles, and set icy-mode, it appears to
>> have destroyed completion at the M-x cmdline.
>
> Are you using a window manager or using Emacs just with a terminal?

Window manager (xfce4)

> Icicles should work in both cases, but I have no experience with the latter, and
> the user experience will be different in some ways. In particular, some of the
> default Icicles key bindings will not work (because those keys are typically not
> available in a terminal).

>> For example... there is no completion for M-x icicles-<spc> or <tab>
>> Also it apparently expects some specialized name to be inserted.
>> Things like `*' or `adobe' get the error message:
>>  [no-prefix-completion].
>
> That sounds correct, actually. The prefix for Icicles commands and variables is
> `icicle-', not `icicles-'. And SPC is self-inserting, by default - it does not
> perform completion.

I must have something set different than default here... <spc> does
completion in all the modes I commonly use.

> TAB should perform completion, however. It is font specs (full names, if you
> like) that are the completion candidates. On my system (Windows), all of the
> candidates start with `-outline' or `-raster'. When you use TAB, `*' is matched
> literally, not as a wildcard.

Yes, I see now where I used spc for completion in the initial command:
M-x icic<spc>  A tab does work there.  I expected spc to work as it
does in all other modes I use.

> If you use S-TAB instead, then `*' is a regexp wildcard, so to match a `*' you
> need to use, for example, `[*]' or `\*'. However, you can turn off regexp
> wildcards using `C-`' (during completion) - then, S-TAB does substring
> completion. In that case, you can type, e.g., `c-*-' to match all font specs
> that contain that string literally.

Ok, its all starting to make sense now... sorry for bad mouthing your
program without real effort testing.

And thanks for the thorough walk thru on how to use the tools.  Very helpful.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-20 16:13           ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What I get is only a tiny fraction of fonts on the system.
>>> 12 are listed.
>>
>> How did you count the number of fonts found?
>
> Captured the output of EVAL: (x-list-fonts "*")
> ("-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-koi8-r" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1" ...)
>
> I guess the `...' means a whole herd was elided

Put point on "..." and press RET

>>> xlsfonts shows 5681 with names beginning `^-'
>>
>> What is the output of:
>>
>> (length (x-list-fonts "*"))
>
>> For me it is 4968.
>
> Here it's 1287
>
> But when the item was introduced into the thread it was presented as a way
> to see `all' fonts.

All fonts usable in emacs.

> Thierry V. wrote in Message-ID: <87eitdqyvg.fsf@tux.homenetwork>
>
>  > You can see all the xfonts available in emacs with:
>
>  > (x-list-fonts "*")
>
> Did you mean to be used some other way than eval?

Anything (and icicle also AFAIK) use this function.
If you want a nice display of this list, use one of them.
If you don't want to use them, you can print the output of this function
with your own function:

loop in (x-list-fonts "*")
print in current buffer or in a specialized buffer each elements
generated by the loop.
Don't forget to add a "\n" after each elements to print.

> Using completion as Bernardo suggests:
>> M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB
>
> Does appear to list them all... and with nice newlines.

As his name say, set-default-font ... set font, and is not intended to
display font, even if you can do it with completion.
If you press RET while browsing font like that, you will set a font.
If it is a readable font you can come back to your default font, else,
you will be good to restart emacs.

--

@ 2009-07-20 18:08               ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Harry Putnam', help-gnu-emacs

> > That sounds correct, actually. The prefix for Icicles
> > commands and variables is `icicle-', not `icicles-'.
> > And SPC is self-inserting, by default - it does not
> > perform completion.
>
> I must have something set different than default here... <spc> does
> completion in all the modes I commonly use.

I meant in Icicle mode. In Icicle mode, SPC is self-inserting, at least by
default (i.e., if you change no keybindings). When you turn Icicle mode off
(e.g. via `icy-mode'), the vanilla Emacs behavior of SPC is restored.

> Yes, I see now where I used spc for completion in the initial command:
> M-x icic<spc>  A tab does work there.  I expected spc to work as it
> does in all other modes I use.

Not by default, but you can do that if you want. SPC is self-inserting in Icicle
mode, because there are lots of completions that contain space chars. Icicles
makes completion usable for lots of things that vanilla Emacs doesn't, and some
of them include space chars.

> Ok, its all starting to make sense now... sorry for bad mouthing your
> program without real effort testing.
>
> And thanks for the thorough walk thru on how to use the
> tools.  Very helpful.

No problem. Once you learn the basic Icicles behavior, the rest follows. I can't
describe that basic behavior in the doc string of every command. (But the doc
string of `icicle-font' does describe how to act on individual candidates, and
it does say this:

"This is an Icicles command - see command `icicle-mode', and that leads you to
some of the basic behavior.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-21  3:02             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-21  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

>> Captured the output of EVAL: (x-list-fonts "*")
>> ("-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-koi8-r" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1" ...)
>>
>> I guess the `...' means a whole herd was elided
>
> Put point on "..." and press RET

How are you able to put point on `...'?  Here, as soon as I touch
anything the output disappears..

And of course:
If I go to it in the *Messages* buffer or capture it into a buffer
with C-u... putting point there and pressing RET has no effect other
than to create a new line.

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-21  3:19   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-21  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Breitfeld <phbrf@t-online.de> writes:

> waterloo wrote:
>
>> the default fonts in emacs 22 are poor .
>>
>> Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
>>
>> I need english and chnese .
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I like "Inconsolata"
>
> http://www.levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

I didn't find any documentation there regarding to how to install the
font.  Maybe the author expects readers to just know... But I don't.

Can you offer a url pointer to read about how to install a font such
as Iconsolata?

* RE: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-21  4:15             ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-07-21  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Thierry Volpiatto', help-gnu-emacs

> >> How did you count the number of fonts found?
> >
> > Captured the output of EVAL: (x-list-fonts "*")

If you use `icicle-font', the total number is shown in the mode line (of
*Completions*). When you type in the minibuffer, the number of fonts matching
your input is shown there, updated as you type.

So, for example, if I type `Arial' and hit S-TAB, I see `84 candidates' in the
mode line, since I have 84 variations of Arial family fonts on my machine. If I
type `Arial.*bold S-TAB', I see `33 candidates', since I have 33 bold Arial
fonts.

> > Using completion as Bernardo suggests:
> >> M-x set-default-font RET TAB TAB
> > Does appear to list them all... and with nice newlines.
>
> As his name say, set-default-font ... set font, and is not intended to
> display font, even if you can do it with completion.
> If you press RET while browsing font like that, you will set a font.
> If it is a readable font you can come back to your default font, else,
> you will be good to restart emacs.

Right.

With `icicle-font' you can apply any number of the fonts (using `C-RET'
`C-mouse-2', or cycling with `C-down') to see what they look like, then hit
`C-g' to return to the font you started with. If you hit RET instead of `C-g',
then the font change remains (is not undone).

Another difference of `icicle-font' from `x-list-fonts' (which, as Thierry
guessed) `icicle-font' uses as a starting point), is that the fonts listed have
the same pixel size as the original font of the frame.

That is, Icicles transforms the font specs listed by `x-list-fonts', so the
candidates all have the same size as the original font. If the frame's default
font has size 12, then they will all have size 12. So when you choose a font the
size doesn't change, and you don't have multiple fonts to choose from that
differ only in size (too noisy).

* Re: Can you recommand some good fonts for emacs22 ?
@ 2009-07-21  5:05               ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-07-21  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Captured the output of EVAL: (x-list-fonts "*")
>>> ("-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-75-75-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-*-100-100-c-120-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-75-75-c-80-iso8859-1" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-jisx0201.1976-0" "-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-*-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-koi8-r" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-15" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1" "-schumacher-clean-medium-r-normal--12-*-75-75-c-60-iso10646-1" ...)
>>>
>>> I guess the `...' means a whole herd was elided
>>
>> Put point on "..." and press RET
>
> How are you able to put point on `...'?  Here, as soon as I touch
> anything the output disappears..

Go in scratch buffer, insert (x-list-fonts "*"), put point at the end of
line, eval with C-j, then, as i said before, go to end of output, put
point on ... and hit RET.
You will see the rest of the list.

If you want a better output in scratch buffer:

,----
| (dolist (i (x-list-fonts "*"))
|   (princ i) (terpri))
`----

Put point at end of this expression and hit C-j

Starting with this code you can write your own function to do exactly
what you want if you don't like anything/and/or/icicle.

--

@ 2009-07-21 15:45                 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-07-21 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> How are you able to put point on `...'?  Here, as soon as I touch
>> anything the output disappears..

> Go in scratch buffer, insert (x-list-fonts "*"), put point at the end of
> line, eval with C-j, then, as i said before, go to end of output, put
> point on ... and hit RET.
> You will see the rest of the list.
>
> If you want a better output in scratch buffer:

Sorry to make you walk me thru what is probably basic knowledge to
many here.  But it has been very helpful to me.... thanks.

> ,----
> | (dolist (i (x-list-fonts "*"))
> |   (princ i) (terpri))
> `----

That looks like it will be useful in lots of places... thanks.