all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs-trunk half window?
@ 2010-01-26 10:54 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2010-01-26 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs

When I run the build of current trunk, rev. 99386, Emacs starts with a
window of 19 lines instead of 35, as it did until the last build, on
2010.01.20.

This happens on GNU/Linux Kubuntu 9.10 with the following .Xdefaults:

------------------------
Emacs.FontBackend:      xft
Emacs.font:            Monospace 13
Emacs.geometry:         -0+0

! ---------[ xft ] ---------
Xft*antialias:          true
Xft*autohint:           true
------------------------

In the above, the line which causes this 'half window' is:

Emacs.font:            Monospace 13

Removing it, Emacs starts with a 'full' window of 38 lines, but with
Monospace 12 and not 13, as I would. Setting '13', manually, with
'Options | Set Default Font' still have 38 lines.

Is this a regression or a new behavior? In this last case, how I can set
'Monospace 13' in .Xdefaults?

I need the above .Xdefaults since November 2009. Indeed, as you
remember, that time there was a thread closed with [*]. Before I never
had .Xdefault on K-9.10. (Really in [*] I reported 'Monospace 12', but
'12' was too small, so I changed to '13', and that was fine).

Ciao,
Angelo.

---
[*] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg01290.html

* Re: Emacs-trunk half window?
@ 2010-01-26 13:19 ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2010-01-26 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelo Graziosi; +Cc: Emacs

Angelo Graziosi skrev 2010-01-26 11.54:
> When I run the build of current trunk, rev. 99386, Emacs starts with a
> window of 19 lines instead of 35, as it did until the last build, on
> 2010.01.20.
>
> This happens on GNU/Linux Kubuntu 9.10 with the following .Xdefaults:
>
> ------------------------
> Emacs.FontBackend: xft
> Emacs.font: Monospace 13
> Emacs.geometry: -0+0
>
> ! ---------[ xft ] ---------
> Xft*antialias: true
> Xft*autohint: true
> ------------------------
>
> In the above, the line which causes this 'half window' is:
>
> Emacs.font: Monospace 13
>
> Removing it, Emacs starts with a 'full' window of 38 lines, but with
> Monospace 12 and not 13, as I would. Setting '13', manually, with
> 'Options | Set Default Font' still have 38 lines.

If you want 38 lines, say so:

Emacs.geometry: 80x38+0+0.

There is no guarantee on how many lines Emacs will choose to have when there
is nothing specified.

	Jan D.

* Re: Emacs-trunk half window?
@ 2010-01-26 14:27   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-01-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    If you want 38 lines, say so:

    Emacs.geometry: 80x38+0+0.

    There is no guarantee on how many lines Emacs will choose to have when
    there is nothing specified.

Um, I have

Emacs.geometry: fullheight

and it too produces `half a window'.