all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?
@ 2010-03-27 22:47 David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-03-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?

I've got a green line.  M-w copy it, yank it into *scratch*.  NO LONGER GREEN.

So, (after toggling read-only), I try yanking it into *Help*.  STAYS green.

(a) What's the distinction?

(b) WHY the distinction?

Thanks!

David

* Re: text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?
@ 2010-03-27 23:14 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-03-27 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?
>
> I've got a green line.  M-w copy it, yank it into *scratch*.  NO
> LONGER GREEN.
>
> So, (after toggling read-only), I try yanking it into *Help*.  STAYS
> green.
>
> (a) What's the distinction?

emacs-lisp-mode has font-lock set up, while help-mode does not.

> (b) WHY the distinction?

Not to annoy you.

-ap

* Re: text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?
@ 2010-04-12  5:35   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-04-12  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <87r5n5e4sl.fsf@fh-trier.de>,
Andreas Politz  <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> text-properties: some buffers like, some don't.  Why?
>>
>> I've got a green line.  M-w copy it, yank it into *scratch*.  NO
>> LONGER GREEN.
>>
>> So, (after toggling read-only), I try yanking it into *Help*.  STAYS
>> green.
>>
>> (a) What's the distinction?
>
>emacs-lisp-mode has font-lock set up, while help-mode does not.
>>
>> (b) WHY the distinction?
>
>Not to annoy you.
>
>-ap

THANK YOU!

David

PS: any advantage to having font-lock state shown
in the mode-line?

Ever seen it done?

David