all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Gnus
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:51:34 +1000	[thread overview]

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sep 2, 12:31 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Could the emacs users give me some alternatives ?
>>
>> I'm not convinced that there are any huge advantages in having the same
>> program to both read/send/manage email and read/send/manage news.
>
> Well a common interface: less key bindings, one config file etc...

IMO the common interface is emacs and the common configuration file is
.emacs

My point re: advantages is that the similarity between news and mail
is really only surface deep. How I want to manage the messages, the type
of filtering I do, where things are stored etc are quite different. I've
found it rare that one program does both well - you tend to either have
news being forced into a mail type paradigm or mail being forced into a
news type one.

I prefer the right tool for the right job. Gnus was written primarily as
an nntp client and mail was (I think) a secondary goal. Mew appears to
be primarily a mail user agent with nntp as a secondary goal.

>> I use
>> gnus for newsgroups and think its really good at that. I tried it for
>
> I don't agree obviously.
>
>> mail, but to be honest, found it less so. I therefore use VM and Mew for
>> reading mail.
>
> Why are you using both of them ?

Because I am on the VM development team. Sometimes, while fixing bugs or
adding features, my copy of VM may not be stable, but I need to maintain
a stable environment. I also like to have another mail reader available
for comparison purposes.

>> Mew also supports reading news, but I've never used it for that.
>>

> I took a quick look at its documentation and I haven't seen any news
> reading support.
>
> Is it well supported in Mew or is it something like using gnus for
> emails ?

as I said, I've never used it for news, so I cannot say.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au