all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I initialize globalized minor mode only once?
@ 2012-07-11  2:54 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-11  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I have written a globalized minor mode which has a relatively costly
initialization (external process call), which I need to do when the mode
is enabled.

But the turn-on function is getting called twice for each new opened
buffer, once in default major mode, and once in the final major mode.

What's the best way to turn on the minor mode only once?
Currently I'm comparing major-mode value to the default value, but
that's probably not the best solution, since the minor mode in question
can apply to some fundamental-mode (or other default mode) buffers, too.

Regards,
--Dmitry

* Re: How do I initialize globalized minor mode only once?
       [not found] <mailman.4534.1341975266.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-07-11  3:20 ` Barry Margolin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4537.1341978452.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-07-11  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.4534.1341975266.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have written a globalized minor mode which has a relatively costly
> initialization (external process call), which I need to do when the mode
> is enabled.
>
> But the turn-on function is getting called twice for each new opened
> buffer, once in default major mode, and once in the final major mode.
>
> What's the best way to turn on the minor mode only once?
> Currently I'm comparing major-mode value to the default value, but
> that's probably not the best solution, since the minor mode in question
> can apply to some fundamental-mode (or other default mode) buffers, too.

Why not just set a variable saying whether you've done the
initialization:

(defvar *my-mode-initialized* nil)

  (if (not *my-mode-initialized*)
      (progn
        (setq *my-mode-initialized* t)))

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: How do I initialize globalized minor mode only once?
@ 2012-07-11  3:47   ` Dmitry Gutov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4537.1341978452.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-11  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.4534.1341975266.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have written a globalized minor mode which has a relatively costly
>> initialization (external process call), which I need to do when the mode
>> is enabled.
>>
>> But the turn-on function is getting called twice for each new opened
>> buffer, once in default major mode, and once in the final major mode.
>>
>> What's the best way to turn on the minor mode only once?
>> Currently I'm comparing major-mode value to the default value, but
>> that's probably not the best solution, since the minor mode in question
>> can apply to some fundamental-mode (or other default mode) buffers, too.
>
> Why not just set a variable saying whether you've done the
> initialization:
>
> (defvar *my-mode-initialized* nil)
>
>   (if (not *my-mode-initialized*)
>       (progn
>         (setq *my-mode-initialized* t)))

My first reaction was "because major mode change kills all local variables",
but that's not exactly true - with enough sprinkling of 'permanent-local
and 'permanent-local-hook properties, this might work.

But what if the user tries to turn off and on the minor mode, or the
global mode, or both? I'd want the initialization performed in these
cases. When or where would I set the variable to nil?

@ 2012-07-11 13:47     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2012-07-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.4537.1341978452.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <mailman.4534.1341975266.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> >  Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have written a globalized minor mode which has a relatively costly
> >> initialization (external process call), which I need to do when the mode
> >> is enabled.
> >>
> >> But the turn-on function is getting called twice for each new opened
> >> buffer, once in default major mode, and once in the final major mode.
> >>
> >> What's the best way to turn on the minor mode only once?
> >> Currently I'm comparing major-mode value to the default value, but
> >> that's probably not the best solution, since the minor mode in question
> >> can apply to some fundamental-mode (or other default mode) buffers, too.
> >
> > Why not just set a variable saying whether you've done the
> > initialization:
> >
> > (defvar *my-mode-initialized* nil)
> >
> >   (if (not *my-mode-initialized*)
> >       (progn
> >         (setq *my-mode-initialized* t)))
>
> My first reaction was "because major mode change kills all local variables",
> but that's not exactly true - with enough sprinkling of 'permanent-local
> and 'permanent-local-hook properties, this might work.

If this is a global minor mode, why would you use a local variable?

> But what if the user tries to turn off and on the minor mode, or the
> global mode, or both? I'd want the initialization performed in these
> cases. When or where would I set the variable to nil?

In the turn-off function.

--

@ 2012-07-11 14:57       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-07-11 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <mailman.4537.1341978452.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,

>> > Why not just set a variable saying whether you've done the
>> > initialization:
>> >
>> > (defvar *my-mode-initialized* nil)
>> >
>> >   (if (not *my-mode-initialized*)
>> >       (progn
>> >         (setq *my-mode-initialized* t)))
>>
>> My first reaction was "because major mode change kills all local variables",
>> but that's not exactly true - with enough sprinkling of 'permanent-local
>> and 'permanent-local-hook properties, this might work.
>
> If this is a global minor mode, why would you use a local variable?

The global mode has a corresponding local minor mode which needs to be
initialized in each buffer it applies to. That's the initialization I
was referring to.

See `define-globalized-minor-mode'.

>> But what if the user tries to turn off and on the minor mode, or the
>> global mode, or both? I'd want the initialization performed in these
>> cases. When or where would I set the variable to nil?
>
> In the turn-off function.

There is no such function.