all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus state, feed commands
@ 2013-11-16 18:17 Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-16 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In Gnus, I have a group like this:

mail.misc (5)

to collect incomings mails.

I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you never had to
check for mails, instead Emacs did that, and then told
you "you have 5 mails" in the mode line?

I guess I could schedule checking with
`run-with-idle-timer' - coincidentally, that's great,
because when you work (i.e., type) you don't want to be
disturbed and get mails, but when you idle for some
time, it would be a good slot for Emacs to check for
them.

To change the mode line, I have this in my .emacs:

(defun set-mode-line ()
  "Mode line: Show the mode line elements if the
respective global booleans are set."
  (interactive)
  (setq-default mode-line-format
   `(" "
     (*show-mode-line-modified* mode-line-modified)
     (*show-mode-line-modified* " ")
     (*show-mode-line-caption* *mode-line-caption*)
     (*show-mode-line-caption* " ")
     (*show-default-directory* default-directory)
     (*show-mode-line-buffer-identification* mode-line-buffer-identification)
     (*show-mode-line-buffer-identification* " ")
     (line-number-mode   "[%l] ")
     (column-number-mode "{%c} ")
     (*show-mode-line-modes* mode-line-modes)
     )))
(set-mode-line)

So you see, putting that information in the mode line
shouldn't be that difficult.

But what I don't know is: how do I access the "state"
of Gnus? I.e., how do I get that number "5"? And, how
do I feed command to Gnus, in the background, without
switching buffers or triggering any other visual noise?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
@ 2013-11-16 18:25 ` Bastien
       [not found] ` <mailman.6374.1384626320.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-16 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emanuel,

> I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you never had to
> check for mails, instead Emacs did that, and then told
> you "you have 5 mails" in the mode line?

I use `display-time-mail-string' which simply displays
a string when you have new mails -- that's enough for my
needs, but maybe you need something fancier.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
       [not found] ` <mailman.6374.1384626320.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-16 18:31   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6376.1384627827.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>> I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you never had
>> to check for mails, instead Emacs did that, and then
>> told you "you have 5 mails" in the mode line?
>
> I use `display-time-mail-string'

I don't seem to have that. It sounds like a
variable. (I don't have it as a variable or a
function.)

> which simply displays a string when you have new
> mails -- that's enough for my needs, but maybe you
> need something fancier.

Probably :) No, serious, I will check out all the work
on this before starting to work myself, of course. If
it is there, I'll be happy to use it. Result is what
matters, not who did it.

--

@ 2013-11-16 18:50     ` Bastien
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6376.1384627827.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-16 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I use `display-time-mail-string'
>
> I don't seem to have that. It sounds like a
> variable. (I don't have it as a variable or a
> function.)

C-h v says:

  This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
  version 22.1 of Emacs.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6376.1384627827.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-16 19:16       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-16 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>>> I use `display-time-mail-string'
>>
>> I don't seem to have that. It sounds like a
>> variable. (I don't have it as a variable or a
>> function.)
>
> C-h v says:
>
>   This variable was introduced, or its default value
>   was changed, in version 22.1 of Emacs.

That's strange, I'm on GNU Emacs 23.4.1. If you don't
mind, would you post the entire help text?

--

@ 2013-11-16 19:23         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-11-16 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 20:16:22 +0100

> >> I don't seem to have that. It sounds like a
> >> variable. (I don't have it as a variable or a
> >> function.)
> >
> > C-h v says:
> >
> >   This variable was introduced, or its default value
> >   was changed, in version 22.1 of Emacs.
>
> That's strange, I'm on GNU Emacs 23.4.1. If you don't
> mind, would you post the entire help text?

It's not autoloaded.  You need to invoke "M-x display-time-mode RET"
to have it.

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
       [not found] ` <mailman.6374.1384626320.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-17  3:57 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.6403.1384660589.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-17  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> In Gnus, I have a group like this:
>
> mail.misc (5)
>
> to collect incomings mails.
>
> I'm thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you never had to
> check for mails, instead Emacs did that, and then told
> you "you have 5 mails" in the mode line?

That number above comes from the function gnus-group-unread, so you
could probably map all subscribed groups through it and collect the
unread count. I've never messed with the mode line, so I'm not sure
about using a function to produce a value for it...

@ 2013-11-17 13:47   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-17 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> That number above comes from the function
> gnus-group-unread, so you could probably map all
> subscribed groups through it and collect the unread
> count. I've never messed with the mode line, so I'm
> not sure about using a function to produce a value
> for it...

Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was possible
to do like this:

(gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group "gnu.emacs.help")

And it is!

--

@ 2013-11-17 23:56     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6460.1384742532.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> That number above comes from the function
>> gnus-group-unread, so you could probably map all
>> subscribed groups through it and collect the unread
>> count. I've never messed with the mode line, so I'm
>> not sure about using a function to produce a value
>> for it...
>
> Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was possible
> to do like this:
>
> (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group "gnu.emacs.help")

I "sort of" solved this. Check out the comments.

(defvar *unread-mails*)
(setq *unread-mails* "")
(defun update-unread-mails ()
  (let ((num-msgs (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group "alt.test")))
    (setq *unread-mails*
          (if (< 0 num-msgs) "* MAIL *" "") )))
;; I found it to be much better not to use the number.
;; Then you stare at that digit - could be 0, could be
;; 7, could it be... Zzz...  until you get dizzy. The
;; idea was to have the computer tell you about mails,
;; not have *you* stare into a digit.

(defun gnus-get-news-bg ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((ori-buffer (current-buffer)))
    (gnus-start-or-show) ; basically (gnus)
    (switch-to-buffer ori-buffer) )) ; can this be avoided?

(defun gnus-after-init ()
  (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-get-news-bg 1 t)
  (gnus-demon-init) )
(add-hook 'gnus-started-hook 'gnus-after-init)
(add-hook 'gnus-get-new-news-hook        'update-unread-mails)
(add-hook 'gnus-agent-fetched-hook       'update-unread-mails)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook 'update-unread-mails)
;; One would think, there should be just one hook, to
;; reflect the change of state of the set of groups
;; *and* their unseen articles.

--

@ 2013-11-18  2:43     ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6460.1384742532.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-18  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> That number above comes from the function
>> gnus-group-unread, so you could probably map all
>> subscribed groups through it and collect the unread
>> count. I've never messed with the mode line, so I'm
>> not sure about using a function to produce a value
>> for it...
>
> Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was possible
> to do like this:
>
> (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group "gnu.emacs.help")

Weird, I wonder what the difference is supposed to be. On my
installation, anyway, with three unread messages in "gmane.emacs.help",
gnus-group-unread returns 3, and gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group
returns 0. Strange.

Also, if you use topics, the easiest way to get the full number of
unread messages would probably be to run gnus-topic-unread on the
top-level topic.

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6460.1384742532.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-18 22:11       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6527.1384825935.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was
>> possible to do like this:
>> (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group
>> "gnu.emacs.help")
>
> Weird, I wonder what the difference is supposed to
> be. On my installation, anyway, with three unread
> messages in "gmane.emacs.help", gnus-group-unread
> returns 3, and
> gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group returns
> 0. Strange.

Is there a difference between "unread" and "unseen"
perhaps?

> Also, if you use topics, the easiest way to get the
> full number of unread messages would probably be to
> run gnus-topic-unread on the top-level topic.

No, never heard of topics?

--

@ 2013-11-19  1:53         ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6527.1384825935.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Yes, I was told on gnu.emacs.gnus that I was
>>> possible to do like this:
>>> (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group
>>> "gnu.emacs.help")
>>
>> Weird, I wonder what the difference is supposed to
>> be. On my installation, anyway, with three unread
>> messages in "gmane.emacs.help", gnus-group-unread
>> returns 3, and
>> gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group returns
>> 0. Strange.
>
> Is there a difference between "unread" and "unseen"
> perhaps?

Beats me, I haven't looked into the code. But I'd expect to get back the
same number gnus shows next to the group name in the *Group* buffer. For
me, at least, I only got that from gnus-group-unread.

>> Also, if you use topics, the easiest way to get the
>> full number of unread messages would probably be to
>> run gnus-topic-unread on the top-level topic.
>
> No, never heard of topics?

They're like meta-groups for groups: just a way of categorizing your
groups in the *Group* buffer. Hit 't' to see. Even if you don't use
them, you could probably check out the code...

* Re: Gnus state, feed commands
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6527.1384825935.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-19  2:07           ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6544.1384850944.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-19  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Beats me, I haven't looked into the code. But I'd
> expect to get back the same number gnus shows next to
> the group name in the *Group* buffer. For me, at
> least, I only got that from gnus-group-unread.

Aha, good point - what do you have as
`gnus-group-line-format'? I have %N which is "Number of
unread articles (integer)" - perhaps you have %U -
"Number of unseen articles (integer)"?

--

@ 2013-11-19  8:50             ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6544.1384850944.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-19  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Beats me, I haven't looked into the code. But I'd
>> expect to get back the same number gnus shows next to
>> the group name in the *Group* buffer. For me, at
>> least, I only got that from gnus-group-unread.
>
> Aha, good point - what do you have as
> `gnus-group-line-format'? I have %N which is "Number of
> unread articles (integer)" - perhaps you have %U -
> "Number of unseen articles (integer)"?

I've got %y, which is unread and unticked.

I finally went and looked it up: unseen means the message has never
before been displayed in a summary buffer, or seen by gnus or you.
Unread means you just haven't read it. In my case, while experimenting,
I had removed the read mark from three messages in gmane.emacs.help,
then tested from the *Group* buffer. That meant those message were
"seen" but "unread", hence the discrepancy. It's good to have the two
functions -- I can imagine different people wanting different things.

* Size of Gnus and Emacs (was: Re: Gnus state, feed commands)
       [not found]             ` <mailman.6544.1384850944.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-19 22:31               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-19 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've got %y, which is unread and unticked.
>
> I finally went and looked it up: unseen means the
> message has never before been displayed in a summary
> buffer, or seen by gnus or you.  Unread means you
> just haven't read it. In my case, while
> experimenting, I had removed the read mark from three
> messages in gmane.emacs.help, then tested from the
> *Group* buffer. That meant those message were "seen"
> but "unread", hence the discrepancy.

Great! We should be private investigators!

Off-topic Gnus note: In the Gnus manual section on
daemons [1], I read

> Gnus, being larger than any program ever written
> (allegedly) ...

So, we just have to keep this up every day, and we will
have covered most of Gnus by the time we retire!

What they are saying is: Gnus, a module of Emacs, is
bigger than Emacs, excluding all modules on the same
level as Gnus (?). Which are those? Rmail and W3M? Or
even Dired? Because it would seem illogical that Gnus
is bigger than Emacs, including Gnus.

But could Gnus be bigger than the Linux kernel? Perhaps
if you exclude all the drivers (?). What about Windows?
And what about all those programs written in assembly
languages (with typically several lines just to carry
out branching or arithmetics)? I take it Gnus is
written in Lisp with possibly some C - on the one hand,
those languages don't make for very long programs. On
the other hand, it is so enjoyable to extend with Elisp
so probably lots of people did it, a lot. I don't know!
Can it be true?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Daemons.html

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
@ 2013-11-20  3:34                 ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.6582.1384918585.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-11-20  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Gnus, being larger than any program ever written
>> (allegedly) ...
>
> So, we just have to keep this up every day, and we will
> have covered most of Gnus by the time we retire!
>
> What they are saying is: Gnus, a module of Emacs, is
> bigger than Emacs, excluding all modules on the same
> level as Gnus (?)

I am jumping in the middle of the conversation.  So, I could be missing
some context.

Gnus manual is written by a prankster (or many pranksters).  It is not
the language of the priest, it is not the language of the layman, it is
a language of the poet (at places) un-inhibited, imaginative and
humorously irreverent.

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.6582.1384918585.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-20  3:41                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-20  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Gnus, being larger than any program ever written (allegedly) ...
>>
>> So, we just have to keep this up every day, and we
>> will have covered most of Gnus by the time we
>> retire!
>>
>> What they are saying is: Gnus, a module of Emacs, is
>> bigger than Emacs, excluding all modules on the same
>> level as Gnus (?)
>
> I am jumping in the middle of the conversation.  So, I
> could be missing some context.

No, that's why I started a new thread.

> Gnus manual is written by a prankster (or many
> pranksters).  It is not the language of the priest,
> it is not the language of the layman, it is a
> language of the poet (at places) un-inhibited,
> imaginative and humorously irreverent.

Ha ha, you once told me there were no poets here :) No,
there are some jokes in that book that are
"student"-ish in style, but that joke, if it is a joke,
isn't in line with those. Actually, my impression of
Gnus is that it *is* big, always when I search the help
it autocompletes thrice the much as other modules
do. But OK: there is no truth to that statement?

--

@ 2013-11-20  7:48                 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.6592.1384933633.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-20  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I've got %y, which is unread and unticked.
>>
>> I finally went and looked it up: unseen means the
>> message has never before been displayed in a summary
>> buffer, or seen by gnus or you.  Unread means you
>> just haven't read it. In my case, while
>> experimenting, I had removed the read mark from three
>> messages in gmane.emacs.help, then tested from the
>> *Group* buffer. That meant those message were "seen"
>> but "unread", hence the discrepancy.
>
> Great! We should be private investigators!

I think in order to qualify as investigators we'll have to discover
something that isn't directly described in the manual :)

> Off-topic Gnus note: In the Gnus manual section on
> daemons [1], I read
>
>> Gnus, being larger than any program ever written
>> (allegedly) ...
>
> So, we just have to keep this up every day, and we will
> have covered most of Gnus by the time we retire!
>
> What they are saying is: Gnus, a module of Emacs, is
> bigger than Emacs, excluding all modules on the same
> level as Gnus (?). Which are those? Rmail and W3M? Or
> even Dired? Because it would seem illogical that Gnus
> is bigger than Emacs, including Gnus.

As Jambunathan noted, the Gnus manual is less of a manual, more of a
"Hitchhiker's Guide to Gnus". On the other hand, gnus can often *feel*
like the largest program ever written. Maybe it's like the Tardis,
bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. That would explain how
it can be bigger than emacs, in which it is contained...

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.6592.1384933633.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-20 16:35                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-20 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I think in order to qualify as investigators we'll
> have to discover something that isn't directly
> described in the manual :)

Hey, don't be such a downer! When in doubt, interpret
information to *your* advantage :)

> As Jambunathan noted, the Gnus manual is less of a
> manual, more of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to Gnus".

I think the Gnus manual is great! 99% is serious. I
this particular case, it wasn't clear. It would have
been so cool if it had miraculously been true, because
then I would have asked every hacker I ever met what
the biggest program is, and I don't think a single one
would have been, well, "right".

One of the best things about the Gnus manual is that it
is available in PDF so I can print it on someone else's
printer so I can spare my eyes and (nonexistent)
money. Which brings me to... are there any other Emacs
books available that way? I have the Emacs manual
(published version) but that was version 18 or so. Gnus
is not in that book, and a lot more is not either, I
suspect.

--

@ 2013-11-21  0:59                     ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.7692.1385880597.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-21  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I think in order to qualify as investigators we'll
>> have to discover something that isn't directly
>> described in the manual :)
>
> Hey, don't be such a downer! When in doubt, interpret
> information to *your* advantage :)
>
>> As Jambunathan noted, the Gnus manual is less of a
>> manual, more of a "Hitchhiker's Guide to Gnus".
>
> I think the Gnus manual is great! 99% is serious. I
> this particular case, it wasn't clear. It would have
> been so cool if it had miraculously been true, because
> then I would have asked every hacker I ever met what
> the biggest program is, and I don't think a single one
> would have been, well, "right".
>
> One of the best things about the Gnus manual is that it
> is available in PDF so I can print it on someone else's
> printer so I can spare my eyes and (nonexistent)
> money. Which brings me to... are there any other Emacs
> books available that way? I have the Emacs manual
> (published version) but that was version 18 or so. Gnus
> is not in that book, and a lot more is not either, I
> suspect.

I think the texi2pdf script can be used to create a PDF from any texinfo
manual -- which pretty much all the manuals are!

http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/PDF-Output.html

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
@ 2013-12-01  6:49                     ` Jambunathan K
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.7692.1385880597.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-01  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> One of the best things about the Gnus manual is that it
> is available in PDF so I can print it on someone else's
> printer so I can spare my eyes and (nonexistent)
> money.

> Which brings me to... are there any other Emacs books available that
> way?

I am not sure whether you are making a distinction between a book and a
manual.  Books are easy to read and understand (often incomplete), but
manuals require more effort (and complete).  Books are for newcomers and
manuals for regular and expert users.

Have you looked at the Emacs project page:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

> I have the Emacs manual (published version) but that was version 18 or
> so. Gnus is not in that book, and a lot more is not either, I suspect.

Here is a page of recent manuals.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/index.html

If you follow the links there, you will be led to a page which contains
manual in a PDF page which you can download and print.

Ofcourse, they are manuals except for "An Introduction to Programming in
Emacs Lisp" which I would call as a book.

It would be nice if a book of Emacs be written available free of charge
for everyone to use.

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.7692.1385880597.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-12-01 16:46                       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Have you looked at the Emacs project page:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
>
> Here is a page of recent manuals.
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/index.html

Thanks, no I haven't seen either of those pages. Since
I discovered Gnus, I'm not surfing the web at all,
almost. Except I use w3m to sometimes read
documentation and to get the magnet links to download
material. But I configured that so to a great extent
I'm "bypassing" the web to get directly to what I
need. I can't say I like the Internet, but I love Gnus,
Usenet, and listbots. I think that's mostly because I'm
so text-oriented. Even though I can use w3m to surf the
web, and w3m is great from the "w3m point of view",
however the Achilles's heel is that all the webpages are
designed with the GUI browser in mind. That way, pages
are bloated with material, and they use different fonts,
font sizes, colors, etc. to communicate the "hierarchy"
what's important and what's not. When you view such a
page in w3m, you just get overwhelmed. But I guess if
people wrote HTML/CSS with a clear distinction what is
content and what is style, that would - *help*, but I
don't think even that would solve this problem
altogether. It seems to be a problem of technology
which you cannot solve with technology.

Copy: the w3m list

--

@ 2013-12-02  5:29                         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-02  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> w3m

What version of Emacs you are using?  I think you are a sort of person
who would like to build Emacs from sources...

In that case, try giving

   M-x eww

a shot.  It is modern and it comes as part of GNU Emacs.

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
@ 2013-12-02  5:51                         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-12-02  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm "bypassing" the web to get directly to what I need. I can't say I
> like the Internet, but I love Gnus, Usenet, and listbots.

I have a feeling that you are using "G G".  That is a nice trick to have
everything you need in your mailbox.

See http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/15646/focus=15648

* Re: Size of Gnus and Emacs
@ 2013-12-02 16:48                           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What version of Emacs you are using?  I think you are
> a sort of person who would like to build Emacs from
> sources...

Well, what would you gain from that apart from it being
an interesting experience?

--

@ 2013-12-02 16:53                           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-12-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm "bypassing" the web to get directly to what I
>> need. I can't say I like the Internet, but I love
>> Gnus, Usenet, and listbots.
>
> I have a feeling that you are using "G G".  That is a
> nice trick to have everything you need in your
> mailbox.
>
> See
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.user/15646/focus=15648

Oh, no! More URLs! :)

Never heard of G G, but will check it out, as
always. No, I meant stuff like this. I bind these kind
of defuns to keystrokes, then the search string is
embedded into the URL, and that is sent to the generic
w3m-web-search [1] - I have those for TPB, YT, etc. - I
guess I'm not bypassing the Internet, just those
stinking web GUIs.

;;; Wikipedia
(defun wiki-article ()
  (interactive)