Stefan Monnier [2014-06-20 08:56:36 -04:00] wrote: >> Please, no. I think flyspell is too intrusive to be enabled by >> default. > > Maybe that's something we should fix, then. But nowadays I consider it > "standard" to do basic spell-checking on-the-fly, in any "text editing > area". Perhaps it's a standard. I, for one, use on-the-fly spelling checker a lot in Emacs, just never flyspell. If any spell-checker is enabled by default it should also actually work with all/most human languages and the way users expect. Otherwise it gets in the way. There are languages which can't be spell-checked with ispell-like programs and it seems that Emacs's ispell/flyspell is very much tied to those. For me Emacs' ispell/flyspell are pretty much useless. I use Voikko spell-checker for Finnish language and Enchant for others. Enchant is a shared library and a generic interface for many checker engines (including ispell, aspell, myspell etc.).