all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Temporary switching to another major mode
@ 2014-10-01 21:13 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-10-01 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi list,

so I have this small fragment which really belongs to another major
mode.  Maybe it's an Org-mode table embedded somewhere in a LaTeX file.
Maybe it's a LaTeX fragment in an email.  I would like to edit it
(e.g. in an indirect buffer) in its "native" mode (Org-mode, AUCTeX
etc.), then hit e.g. C-c C-c and have the temporary buffer disappear,
and the modified fragment update in the "base" buffer.

I am pretty sure there exist some tools for that.  Am I right?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Temporary switching to another major mode
       [not found] <mailman.10219.1412198065.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-10-01 21:17 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-10-01 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> so I have this small fragment which really belongs to another major
> mode.  Maybe it's an Org-mode table embedded somewhere in a LaTeX file.
> Maybe it's a LaTeX fragment in an email.  I would like to edit it
> (e.g. in an indirect buffer) in its "native" mode (Org-mode, AUCTeX
> etc.), then hit e.g. C-c C-c and have the temporary buffer disappear,
> and the modified fragment update in the "base" buffer.
>
> I am pretty sure there exist some tools for that.  Am I right?

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes

mmm-mode or mumamo.
(In case of web files, web-mode seems nice too).

* Re: Temporary switching to another major mode
@ 2014-10-02  9:34 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-10-02  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> so I have this small fragment which really belongs to another major
> mode.  Maybe it's an Org-mode table embedded somewhere in a LaTeX file.
> Maybe it's a LaTeX fragment in an email.  I would like to edit it
> (e.g. in an indirect buffer) in its "native" mode (Org-mode, AUCTeX
> etc.), then hit e.g. C-c C-c and have the temporary buffer disappear,
> and the modified fragment update in the "base" buffer.
>
> I am pretty sure there exist some tools for that.  Am I right?

2 specialized tools are:

- poporg: edit the docstring at point in Org (works in emacs-lisp-mode
  and maybe others?)
- outorg: edit the subtree at point (or whole buffer) in Org (works in
  all major-modes, given original buffer is org-style-structured and has
  outshine activated)

Then there is polymode and linked-buffers, recently discussed on the ESS
mailing list.

None of them seems to be a perfect fit for your needs though ...

--
cheers,
Thorsten