all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* n00b installing 24.4
@ 2014-10-22 19:44 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-10-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using emacs 24.3.1 with Ubuntu 14.04, and generally doing
fine. I downloaded 24.4, and ran ./configure, and got the following
warnings about missing libraries:

|checking for libXaw... configure: error: No X toolkit could be found.

and:

|configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
|    libXpm libjpeg libpng libgif/libungif libtiff
|Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
|If you don't want to link with them give
|    --with-xpm=no --with-jpeg=no --with-png=no --with-gif=no
|    --with-tiff=no

Seeing "jpeg" and "png" makes me think this is some pretty normal stuff
that is probably on my computer somewhere, but the installer can't find
them, but I also do not know how to find them!

Thank you in advance for any help.
Best,
steven arntson