Ivan Shmakov writes: >>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: >>>>>> Ivan Shmakov writes: > > […] > > >> Here, the “group” field of .newsrc is read as an Emacs Lisp > >> expression. Which may result either in an error, or, in the case of > >> [Hello]/World – and, similarly, (Hello)/World – in only the leading > >> [Hello] or (Hello) being actually read. > > > Well, "[Hello]/World" isn't a valid newsgroup name, > > Yet (Hello)/World is. (Per the newsgroup-name and wildmat-exact > productions given in section 9.8 of RFC 3977.) > > > and I think only newsgroups are supposed to be in ~/.newsrc? How did > > you get such a group name there? > > I didn’t. The person who brought this issue to IRC has > apparently used something like (nnimap "imap.gmail.com") for > gnus-select-method. > > Though indeed, I know of no reason /not/ to set > gnus-save-newsrc-file to nil in this case. This was discussed on the gnus.general list, and I produced a fix for it (at least, I'm 95% sure it's the same issue), and then apparently never sent the patch to the list, despite having thought I did. Attaching the patch here. Eric