all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* local problem with missing articles in gnus nnimap
@ 2015-07-15 17:14 Hikaru Ichijyo
From: Hikaru Ichijyo @ 2015-07-15 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've been using Gnus at home for awhile now, and it works great, so I
setup the same version of Gnus on the same version/distro of Linux at
the office, and I'm connecting to the same IMAP server with nnimap.

Somehow though, a few recent emails don't seem to show up, even when
nothing is being limited and threading is off.  If I look at the same
mailbox in Alpine, it's all there.  If I go home and look in Gnus on my
home machine, it's all there.  No mails are really gone, but a few just
don't show up in Gnus on my office machine.

I'd imagine there's some kind of overview caching going on, because the
problem seems to definitely be on the client end, and localized to one
machine.

I tried using gnus-server-regenerate-server on it, but it said that
command isn't available for nnimap sources.  So much for that.

Is there some folder or dot-file somewhere in my home directory that I
can delete or clean somehow to fix this?  It can't be anything serious,
because the mail isn't really gone.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent

* Re: local problem with missing articles in gnus nnimap
@ 2015-07-15 19:00 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 2015-07-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> wrote:

> Somehow though, a few recent emails don't seem to show up,

  FWIW, I've had this kind of problem for years. For me it happens when
  I ever read mails from the gmail web interface. They don't show up in
  Gnus. Most of the time, I have to go back to gmail on the web, mark
  the whole thread as undread and move it back to inbox. Then, hitting g
  in the group buffer will get them.

--
My new Jazz CD entitled "Roots and Leaves" is out!
Check it out: http://didierverna.com/records/roots-and-leaves.php

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info

* Re: local problem with missing articles in gnus nnimap
@ 2015-07-16  1:37 ` Hikaru Ichijyo
From: Hikaru Ichijyo @ 2015-07-16  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For what it's worth, I did get it fixed.

On the machine where the emails didn't show up, I entered the INBOX with
'C-u RET'.  Everything showed up, so I quit the INBOX.  I was now able
to see them whether I entered with 'C-u RET' or with some other method,
so they became permanently visible again, and the fix was permanent.  I
have no idea why all this was necessary.

--

@ 2015-07-16  3:34   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-07-16  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> For what it's worth, I did get it fixed.
>
> On the machine where the emails didn't show up, I entered the INBOX with
> 'C-u RET'.  Everything showed up, so I quit the INBOX.  I was now able
> to see them whether I entered with 'C-u RET' or with some other method,
> so they became permanently visible again, and the fix was permanent.  I
> have no idea why all this was necessary.

I think the problem is that Gnus does not, by default, re-scan marks
from the IMAP server when it starts up. If you're using more than Gnus,
therefore, they don't know that the other is changing marks. I think
this is a bug, and opened a bug report for it, but haven't gotten around
to trying to cook up a solution.

Another trick is to edit group parameters, delete the "active" cons,
then do a "M-g" on the group.

Eric