all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A copyright (?) issue with a message helper function
@ 2016-01-18 21:59 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-18 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi list,

I'm writing myself a function to ask me whether I really want to send
a message without an attachment if it contains a string like "I
attach".  I'd like to submit it as a patch to Emacs.  However, I used
the set of strings described here:
http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How_to_Get_a_Forgotten_Attachment_Reminder_in_Gmail.htm
Would it be a copyright problem?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: A copyright (?) issue with a message helper function
@ 2016-01-18 22:13 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2016-01-18 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-devel

>I'm writing myself a function to ask me whether I really want to send
>a message without an attachment if it contains a string like "I
>attach".  I'd like to submit it as a patch to Emacs.  However, I used
>the set of strings described here:
>http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How_to_Get_a_Forgotten_Attachment_Reminder_in_Gmail.htm
>Would it be a copyright problem?

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but if it were my code I wouldn't worry a bit.  Those phrases do not look copyrightable, and they are used here strictly for utilitarian (not expressive) purposes.  IMHO there shouldn't be any problem.

-Karl

* Re: A copyright (?) issue with a message helper function
@ 2016-01-20 22:09   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-01-20 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Fogel; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 2016-01-18, at 23:13, Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>>I'm writing myself a function to ask me whether I really want to send
>>a message without an attachment if it contains a string like "I
>>attach".  I'd like to submit it as a patch to Emacs.  However, I used
>>the set of strings described here:
>>http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How_to_Get_a_Forgotten_Attachment_Reminder_in_Gmail.htm
>>Would it be a copyright problem?
>
> I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but if it were my code I wouldn't worry a bit.  Those phrases do not look copyrightable, and they are used here strictly for utilitarian (not expressive) purposes.  IMHO there shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks!  Since this was the only answer, I guess I'm just getting
paranoid about this whole copyright/IP BS.

> -Karl

Best,