1. emacs -Q -nw 2. M-x xterm-mouse-mode RET 3. Click once, then quickly move the cursor to a different word and click again. 4. Notice that the 2nd click was registered as a double click even though the cursor moved. 5. Click once, and quickly perform step 3 again. Notice that the 3rd click was registered as a triple click even though the cursor moved. I've attached a patch that fixes this behaviour. It would be nice if it worked with pixel positions rather than character positions, but I'm not sure how to do that in a terminal Emacs.