all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* line-wrap works in emacs-25.3.3 but not in emacs-26.0.91!
@ 2018-02-03 10:57 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2018-02-03 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

I've just downloaded and installed the latest pre-test of emacs
(26.0.91) and run it. After sorting out several config quirks I was able
to load it and use it - except, in org-mode it had lost the ability to
line-wrap at 100 characters, as I usually have it! But with the exact
same config using emacs-25.3.3 line-wrap returned!

So how can I use the emacs-26 version and also line-wrap please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.3, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.3.2, org-mode 9.1.6-10-g0c9329-elpaplus

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: line-wrap works in emacs-25.3.3 but not in emacs-26.0.91!
@ 2018-02-03 11:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-03 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 10:57:56 +0000
>
> I've just downloaded and installed the latest pre-test of emacs
> (26.0.91) and run it. After sorting out several config quirks I was able
> to load it and use it - except, in org-mode it had lost the ability to
> line-wrap at 100 characters, as I usually have it! But with the exact
> same config using emacs-25.3.3 line-wrap returned!
>
> So how can I use the emacs-26 version and also line-wrap please?

Details are sorely missed: exactly what didn't work with line-wrap?
Can you show a particular example, preferably starting from "emacs -Q"?
Also, could it be that your Org version changed as result of the
upgrade?

* Re: line-wrap works in emacs-25.3.3 but not in emacs-26.0.91!
@ 2018-02-05  8:29 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2018-02-05  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>> Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 10:57:56 +0000
>>
>> I've just downloaded and installed the latest pre-test of emacs
>> (26.0.91) and run it. After sorting out several config quirks I was able
>> to load it and use it - except, in org-mode it had lost the ability to
>> line-wrap at 100 characters, as I usually have it! But with the exact
>> same config using emacs-25.3.3 line-wrap returned!
>>
>> So how can I use the emacs-26 version and also line-wrap please?
>
> Details are sorely missed: exactly what didn't work with line-wrap?
> Can you show a particular example, preferably starting from "emacs -Q"?
> Also, could it be that your Org version changed as result of the
> upgrade?

- Line-wrapping in an org-mode file, my daily diary specifically.

- Hmm, I'll have to have a play to get this.

- My point is that I was using the exact same init file with both
  versions and yet I have a very different response from each program,
  whereas I was expecting the results to be consistent, with
  line-wrapping in each program.

- No, my org-mode version hasn't changed, it is - Org mode version 9.1.6 (9.1.6-33-g5b4a71-elpaplus @ /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180129/)

From: Sharon Kimble @ 2018-02-05  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2018-02-05  8:42   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2018-02-05  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>> Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 10:57:56 +0000
>>
>> I've just downloaded and installed the latest pre-test of emacs
>> (26.0.91) and run it. After sorting out several config quirks I was able
>> to load it and use it - except, in org-mode it had lost the ability to
>> line-wrap at 100 characters, as I usually have it! But with the exact
>> same config using emacs-25.3.3 line-wrap returned!
>>
>> So how can I use the emacs-26 version and also line-wrap please?
>
> Details are sorely missed: exactly what didn't work with line-wrap?
> Can you show a particular example, preferably starting from "emacs -Q"?
> Also, could it be that your Org version changed as result of the
> upgrade?

- Line-wrapping in an org-mode file, my daily diary specifically.

- Hmm, I'll have to have a play to get this.

- My point is that I am using the exact same init file with both
  versions and yet I have a very different response from each program,
  whereas I was expecting to get line-wrapping with both programs,
  exactly the same as I am getting with emacs25.

- No, the org version hasn't changed, it remains Org mode version 9.1.6
  (9.1.6-33-g5b4a71-elpaplus @
  /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180129/) with both
  programs.

@ 2018-02-05 16:20 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-02-05 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
> Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 08:29:18 +0000
>
> > Details are sorely missed: exactly what didn't work with line-wrap?
> > Can you show a particular example, preferably starting from "emacs -Q"?
> > Also, could it be that your Org version changed as result of the
> > upgrade?
>
> - Line-wrapping in an org-mode file, my daily diary specifically.
>
> - Hmm, I'll have to have a play to get this.
>
> - My point is that I was using the exact same init file with both
>   versions and yet I have a very different response from each program,
>   whereas I was expecting the results to be consistent, with
>   line-wrapping in each program.

OK, but still: can you describe in more detail what doesn't work with
line-wrapping?  Or maybe show a screenshot?

* Re: line-wrap works in emacs-25.3.3 but not in emacs-26.0.91!
@ 2018-02-07  9:18     ` Nathanael Schweers
From: Nathanael Schweers @ 2018-02-07  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com>
>>> Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 10:57:56 +0000
>>>
>>> I've just downloaded and installed the latest pre-test of emacs
>>> (26.0.91) and run it. After sorting out several config quirks I was able
>>> to load it and use it - except, in org-mode it had lost the ability to
>>> line-wrap at 100 characters, as I usually have it! But with the exact
>>> same config using emacs-25.3.3 line-wrap returned!
>>>
>>> So how can I use the emacs-26 version and also line-wrap please?
>>
>> Details are sorely missed: exactly what didn't work with line-wrap?
>> Can you show a particular example, preferably starting from "emacs -Q"?
>> Also, could it be that your Org version changed as result of the
>> upgrade?
>
> - Line-wrapping in an org-mode file, my daily diary specifically.
>
> - Hmm, I'll have to have a play to get this.
>
> - My point is that I am using the exact same init file with both
>   versions and yet I have a very different response from each program,
>   whereas I was expecting to get line-wrapping with both programs,
>   exactly the same as I am getting with emacs25.
>
> - No, the org version hasn't changed, it remains Org mode version 9.1.6
>   (9.1.6-33-g5b4a71-elpaplus @
>   /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180129/) with both
>   programs.
Just a wild guess, but have you tried removing the byte compiled files
from the org-plus-contrib files you listed?  I’ve had problems with byte
compilation of org-plus-contrib.  I.e. does

mkdir /home/boudiccas/org-mode-plus-contrib-backup; \
mv /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20180129/*.elc \
/home/boudiccas/org-mode-plus-contrib-backup

fix your problem?