all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus and Emacs master, "wrong type argument" error
@ 2019-04-03 17:01 Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2019-04-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

as my usual habit, now and then I recompile the master version of Emacs, and
so I did this morning.

Everything seemed ok until I tried to read some news with Gnus: whenever I try
to enter into any of the groups I'm subscribed, I get the following error
(refilled)

  gnus-request-group: Wrong type argument: vectorp, #s(hash-table size 39 test
  equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold 0.8125 data ("dummy.group" (nil
  ("dummy.group" 0 nil)) "nndraft:drafts" (1 ("nndraft:drafts" 1 nil nil
  (nndraft "") ((gnus-dummy (gnus-draft-mode))))) "gmane.comp.python.general"
  (19 ("gmane.comp.python.general" 3 ((1 . 827724) 827727 827729) ((unexist)

I saw Eric Abrahamsen's commits related to changing some internal storage from
obarrays to hash tables, and I guess my problem is due to that: I switched
back to commit bc2a93d5b7c3d749b31927452e31b32bdb1b9108 and everything works
again.

I did not find any mention about required "migrations" of existing .newsrc.eld
in the NEWS, nor in the commits.

Am I missing something or are those changes still in flux?

Thank you for any hint,
ciao, lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.

* Re: Gnus and Emacs master, "wrong type argument" error
@ 2019-04-03 17:24 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-04-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When you bump into a problem in the development code, please please
pretty please, don't ask gnu.emacs.help for help to circumvent
it, but tell Emacs developers about the problem (M-x report-emacs-bug).

> Am I missing something or are those changes still in flux?

They're only in flux as long as people report problems about them.

* Re: Gnus and Emacs master, "wrong type argument" error
@ 2019-04-03 17:42   ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2019-04-03 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When you bump into a problem in the development code, please please
> pretty please, don't ask gnu.emacs.help for help to circumvent
> it, but tell Emacs developers about the problem (M-x report-emacs-bug).

Sure, you are right, will try again tomorrow morning and will do that.

Thank you,

@ 2019-04-03 20:23     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-04-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lele Gaifax; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lele Gaifax <lele@metapensiero.it> writes:

>> When you bump into a problem in the development code, please please
>> pretty please, don't ask gnu.emacs.help for help to circumvent
>> it, but tell Emacs developers about the problem (M-x report-emacs-bug).
>
> Sure, you are right, will try again tomorrow morning and will do that.

Actually all you need to do is delete stale *elc files from under
lisp/gnus/ and run "make" again. You can also run "make bootstrap" to
the same effect, but that will take longer.

It's annoying, but apparently unavoidable...

* Re: Gnus and Emacs master, "wrong type argument" error
@ 2019-04-04  5:37       ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2019-04-04  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Actually all you need to do is delete stale *elc files from under
> lisp/gnus/ and run "make" again. You can also run "make bootstrap" to
> the same effect, but that will take longer.

Thank you Eric!

@ 2019-04-04  6:13         ` Lele Gaifax
From: Lele Gaifax @ 2019-04-04  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Actually all you need to do is delete stale *elc files from under
> lisp/gnus/ and run "make" again. You can also run "make bootstrap" to
> the same effect, but that will take longer.

This just to confirm that the problem is solved following Eric's hint (in my
case, I opted for the bootstrap variant).

Thanks a lot,