Noam Postavsky writes: > > sometimes it takes 10 or 20 seconds until the debugger pops up. I > > debugged code using widgets (who are complicated long lists). But both > > the number of frames and the length of the printed lists were not > > exorbitant - a quite normal situation. > > Can you give an example recipe that produces the slowness? It's not > usually slow, right? (When I trigger the debugger in master right now, > I don't notice problem.) I investigated a bit and found that the main factor of the sluggishness seems to be my private (global) setting of print-gensym -> t: I can toggle sluggishness in both the Emacs with my setup and emacs -Q just by toggling this variable. My debugger use case involves gensyms (see later). Ok, so it's probably mainly a printing issue. Here is my use case: load the attached file (don't compile, I made it contain a bug). M-x find-cmd-widget, and insert a "links" expression by hitting the INS button and select "links" with the "expr" button. With print-gemsym -> nil, the debugger needs approx. 2 seconds here to pop up, and with print-gemsym -> t, approx. 12. So I wonder why this setting makes it that slow - I would expect a small time penalty, but such a big difference? BTW, extra points if the debugger provided commands/ a menu to tune such settings (like printing variables) live when using it.