On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 10:34:30 +0200 Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > Stephen Berman writes: > >> However, concerning the latter, it seems that the tests expect >> help-fns-function-description-header to return the quoted basename of >> the file, while in my environment it returns the absolute filename. >> Adjusting the regexp used in the tests fixes this issue (see the first >> patch below) and then all tests pass regardless of where I start the >> batch run. >> >> Concerning cl-generic-tests.el, using file-truename as in the second >> patch below prevents the one failure, also regardless of where I start >> the batch run. > > Thanks; I've now applied your patch to the trunk. Thanks. >> The same reduction but not full elimination is achieved by removing >> the call to file-truename in the value of the defvar emacs-test-dir in >> elisp-mode-tests.el. So far I haven't figured out how to prevent >> these five failures. > > Have you made any progress on these remaining failures, by any chance? I looked at them again and, by trial and error, came up with the attached patch, with which I now get no unexpected failures when running the tests in batch mode, though when run interactively xref-elisp-test-find-defs-defgeneric-implicit-generic still fails. But in any case I wouldn't blindly install this patch; someone who knows the xref code really needs to look at what's going on here. Steve Berman