all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.
@ 2021-03-26 13:06 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-03-26 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I try to run whois command from with emcas by "M-x RET whois RET
domain-name", but I always meet the following error:

Process Whois connection broken by remote peer

Any hints for this problem?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
Hebei Polytechnic University of Science and Technology engineering
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.
@ 2021-03-26 13:52 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-03-26 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> I try to run whois command from with emcas by "M-x RET whois RET
> domain-name", but I always meet the following error:
>
> Process Whois connection broken by remote peer
>
> Any hints for this problem?

Maybe this has something to do with it:

  (whois ARG SEARCH-STRING)

  Send SEARCH-STRING to server defined by the
  ‘whois-server-name’ variable.

and

  whois-server-name is a variable defined in ‘net-utils.el’.
  Its value is "rs.internic.net"

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.
@ 2021-03-26 15:12 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2021-03-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Hongyi,

    > I try to run whois command from with emcas by "M-x RET whois RET
    > domain-name", but I always meet the following error:

    > Process Whois connection broken by remote peer

    > Any hints for this problem?

It seems to work for me for some URLs, for example gnu.org and
emacs.org, but for others like facebook.com it just hangs and returns
nothing. It certainly doesn't work as I would expect, so perhaps you
should report it as a bug.

Best wishes,

 Colin.

* Re: Process Whois connection broken by remote peer.
@ 2021-03-27  1:19   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-03-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 11:12 PM Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> wrote:

> Hello Hongyi,

>     > I try to run whois command from with emcas by "M-x RET whois RET
>     > domain-name", but I always meet the following error:
>
>     > Process Whois connection broken by remote peer
>
>     > Any hints for this problem?
>
> It seems to work for me for some URLs, for example gnu.org and
> emacs.org, but for others like facebook.com it just hangs and returns
> nothing.

I checked it with above-mentioned domain names, and reproduced the
exactly same results as yours.

> It certainly doesn't work as I would expect, so perhaps you
> should report it as a bug.

I'll report it on bug-gnu-emacs mailing list.

@ 2021-03-27  1:22     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-03-27  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

What is rs.internic.net ?