all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 14:21 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-04-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi i would like to test GNU Emacs 27.2 possibly with docker
image. Currently my OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any comments welcome!!!

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _布德天下_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 14:32 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

황병희 wrote:

> Hi i would like to test GNU Emacs 27.2 possibly with docker
> image. Currently my OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any comments
> welcome!!!

Heh, docker?

Get the source and compile, Emacs is super-easy to compile,
even I can do it, so you sure can. It doesn't interrupt with
anything, get source, try, and discard if you are defecting
to vim or something.

You can get the source from your distro's repos

  apt-get source $emacs

but better just download it:

   http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

23.4 is my personal fav

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 14:55   ` Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Wayne Harris via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

> but better just download it:
>
>    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
>
> 23.4 is my personal fav

Why?  What's so nice about it?

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 19:03   ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2021-04-18 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 7:32 AM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> 황병희 wrote:
>
> > Hi i would like to test GNU Emacs 27.2 possibly with docker
> > image. Currently my OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any comments
> > welcome!!!
>
> Heh, docker?
>
> Get the source and compile, Emacs is super-easy to compile,
> even I can do it, so you sure can. It doesn't interrupt with
> anything, get source, try, and discard if you are defecting
> to vim or something.
>
> You can get the source from your distro's repos
>
>   apt-get source $emacs
>
> but better just download it:
>
>    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

Actually, on a current ubuntu system, as i think 18.04 LTS should be, it
should be available as a package.

sudo apt-get install emacs

From the point of view of the ubuntu way of doing things, i think this
would be the canonical move to make.

dan

@ 2021-04-18 19:23 ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2021-04-18 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Byung-Hee!

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 9:21 AM 황병희 <soyeomul@doraji.xyz> wrote:

> Hi i would like to test GNU Emacs 27.2 possibly with docker
> image. Currently my OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any comments welcome!!!

For docker, specifically, I often search docker hub by recently updated, desc:

  https://hub.docker.com/search?q=emacs&type=image&sort=updated_at&order=desc

The top hit I see just now is for Ubuntu.  It appears to be less than
20 hours old (ergo. this also includes a recent build of the main
branch). You the Dockerfile for 27.2 on GitHub:

  https://github.com/Silex/docker-emacs/blob/master/27.2/ubuntu/18.04/Dockerfile

Happy hacking!

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 19:26     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Hitt wrote:

> Actually, on a current ubuntu system, as i think 18.04 LTS
> should be, it should be available as a package.
>
>   sudo apt-get install emacs
>
> From the point of view of the ubuntu way of doing things,
> i think this would be the canonical move to make.

Executing the APT package handling utility apt-get with
superuser privileges to install emacs!

How can Canonical be so spot-on all the time?

--

@ 2021-04-18 19:29   ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Corwin Brust wrote:

> The top hit I see just now is for Ubuntu. It appears to be
> less than 20 hours old (ergo. this also includes a recent
> build of the main branch). You the Dockerfile for 27.2 on
> GitHub

What's the deal with installing Emacs from Docker?

You get the very latestmost commit even on old Emacs?

And after, it is verified: "Now it's confirmed. This really
is Emacs."

--

@ 2021-04-18 19:30       ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2021-04-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, Help Gnu Emacs

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 12:26 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Dan Hitt wrote:
>
> > Actually, on a current ubuntu system, as i think 18.04 LTS
> > should be, it should be available as a package.
> >
> >   sudo apt-get install emacs
> >
> > From the point of view of the ubuntu way of doing things,
> > i think this would be the canonical move to make.
>
> Executing the APT package handling utility apt-get with
> superuser privileges to install emacs!
>
> How can Canonical be so spot-on all the time?

hahhahahahaha, i feel like i'm walking into a trap here, Emanuel! :) :)

But that's how debian does it also.

Naturally, if you're on a shared system, or want to compare two different
versions of emacs, or a lot of other cases, this might not be the best path.

But i do think for getting emacs under your fingers quickly, it's probably
the shortest path. :) :) :)

dan

@ 2021-04-18 19:49     ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2021-04-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Emanuel!

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Corwin Brust wrote:
>
> > The top hit I see just now is for Ubuntu. It appears to be
> > less than 20 hours old (ergo. this also includes a recent
> > build of the main branch). You the Dockerfile for 27.2 on
> > GitHub
>
> What's the deal with installing Emacs from Docker?

My use case involves trying out some "Emacs as a Service" types of things
under various versions/builds of Emacs.  In honestly, I'm not sure the draw
toward docker vs native package install (or self-build) for day-to-day
use.  For experimentation (perhaps including try-before-you-buy ;) of a new
Emacs Version) it's quite handy do delete the container and know that your
base system has whatever system libraries it had before, all at their
previous versions and so forth.

> You get the very latestmost commit even on old Emacs?

You would still need to git pull and rebuild manually in the container if
you want something newer than what's current on Dockerhub or whathaveyou.
 I think it's more usual to update the image that use it as a spring-board
for self-building within the container, but my experience is rather limited.

> And after, it is verified: "Now it's confirmed. This really
> is Emacs."

There be GNUS here!  😂

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-18 22:41       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: emacs-erc

Corwin Brust wrote:

> My use case involves trying out some "Emacs as a Service"
> types of things under various versions/builds of Emacs.
> In honestly, I'm not sure the draw toward docker vs native
> package install (or self-build) for day-to-day use.
> For experimentation (perhaps including try-before-you-buy
> ;) of a new Emacs Version) it's quite handy do delete the
> container and know that your base system has whatever
> system libraries it had before, all at their previous
> versions and so forth.

Oh, Emacs as a Service, that was new. I like the
oldschoolness of Emacs and I'm that guy myself, that's the
emotional appeal, but I've heard of that concept in other
areas, and now I've heard of it here as well, so it seems
Emacs keeps up with the modern world :)

I read about Docker in Linux Magazine some ~10 years ago and
IIUC it is/was a streamlined way of moving modularized
computer resources around in a predictable way.

The way I use Emacs is rather the opposite, I have it right
here and then use Tramp to move around, instead of
dispatching Emacses all around but perhaps one can think of
something to do with it (except for deleting it :)), for
example perhaps one could have persistent IRC with ERC like
this, right now I do the tmux/ssh detach/attach dance with
irssi, there I just read the backlog, then I have ERC here to
do actual... like carry out really important tasks.

Can you do that with Docker?

PS. Seems like gmane.emacs.erc.general is alive so
    I crosspost it there for their information, but let's
    follow up here since the thread started here. DS.

--

@ 2021-04-18 22:48         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-18 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Hitt wrote:

> hahhahahahaha, i feel like i'm walking into a trap here,
> Emanuel! :) :)

:)

> But that's how debian does it also.

Since the package manager is considered like a huge part of
the distribution one wonders how different Ubuntu is
to Debian. Ubuntu comes with some extra bling-blings by
default, but they can be disabled and removed. On Debian
OTOH, they can be installed and enabled.

I get it that Debian is different from OpenBSD since it comes
with another kernel and another toolchain implementation, of
the same tools to some extent by all means but still... But
Debian and Ubuntu, yeah. Very close, right?

Nah, the more the merrier, just get it out there, call it
whatever you want...

> But i do think for getting emacs under your fingers
> quickly, it's probably the shortest path. :) :) :)

Yeah, I think the OP is up to something since he is at least
a 10+ years Emacs user, maybe just want to try Docker for the
sake of it...

--

@ 2021-04-18 23:56           ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2021-04-18 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 3:49 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Dan Hitt wrote:

> > But i do think for getting emacs under your fingers
> > quickly, it's probably the shortest path. :) :) :)
>
> Yeah, I think the OP is up to something since he is at least
> a 10+ years Emacs user, maybe just want to try Docker for the
> sake of it...

Yes, you are no doubt right.  He also mentioned a specific, late, version
of Emacs, which of course my solution will certainly not get you.

And it's a good question (how to try out a late version of emacs?), and
maybe docker really is the way to go, if you don't want to mess around with
compiling it yourself --- there must surely be a load of dependencies.

On the other hand, the version of emacs on flatpak is 27.2, so that would
be another possibility.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnu.emacs

@ 2021-04-19  2:20   ` 황병희
From: 황병희 @ 2021-04-19  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hellow Corwin,

> The top hit I see just now is for Ubuntu.  It appears to be less than
> 20 hours old (ergo. this also includes a recent build of the main
> branch). You the Dockerfile for 27.2 on GitHub:
>
>   https://github.com/Silex/docker-emacs/blob/master/27.2/ubuntu/18.04/Dockerfile
>
> Happy hacking!

Thank you very so much ^^^

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _白衣從軍_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-19  2:41   ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-04-19  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> 황병희 wrote:
>
>> Hi i would like to test GNU Emacs 27.2 possibly with docker
>> image. Currently my OS is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Any comments
>> welcome!!!
>
> Heh, docker?
>
> Get the source and compile, Emacs is super-easy to compile,
> even I can do it, so you sure can. It doesn't interrupt with
> anything, get source, try, and discard if you are defecting
> to vim or something.
>
> You can get the source from your distro's repos
>
>   apt-get source $emacs
>
> but better just download it:
>
>    http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
>
> 23.4 is my personal fav

Hellow Emanuel long time no see ^^^

Because i just wish to study about docker so that someday far later i
will make FreeBSD's docker image of GNU Emacs -- this is my final
goal. Actually about 10 years ago i used GNU Emacs with `berkeley-unix'
as system-type on FreeBSD STABLE. Sometimes i miss the string
berkeley-unix.

And i would be anchor on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as base OS until 2028,
maybe?

@ 2021-04-19 17:31     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-19 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> Because i just wish to study about docker so that someday
> far later i will make FreeBSD's docker image of GNU Emacs

They use it to distribute Emacs in general, like their chosen
method to do that, or why do you want a docker image?

--

@ 2021-04-20  6:48       ` Byung-Hee HWANG
From: Byung-Hee HWANG @ 2021-04-20  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
>
>> Because i just wish to study about docker so that someday
>> far later i will make FreeBSD's docker image of GNU Emacs
>
> They use it to distribute Emacs in general, like their chosen
> method to do that, or why do you want a docker image?

Emanuel, i did want to play freebsd's Emacs as docker image on Ubuntu
18.04 LTS. By the way... after wrote reply, i did check freebsd docker
status. Already freebsd project dropped docker support so my plan does
delay without deadline.

Let me think about freebsd's Emacs. Oh please...

Sincerely, Gnus fan Byung-Hee

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: There is a docker image of GNU Emacs?
@ 2021-04-30  1:01         ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-04-30  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> Emanuel, i did want to play freebsd's Emacs as docker image
> on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. By the way... after wrote reply, i did
> check freebsd docker status. Already freebsd project dropped
> docker support so my plan does delay without deadline.

Yes, I understand, but why did you want do do it? :)

Or the question is "how", not "why"?