I've done some digging into whether we can mimic OR use display-buffer when creating a new tab, and while we could do this, we also advertise two other behaviors for tab-bar-new-tab-choice that would make the function needlessly complex, as use/mimicry of display-buffer would only help in the case of when tab-bar-new-tab-choice is t. On a side-note (side-window? haha), I've got a patch that side-steps (hehe) the issue of modifying the 'window-side parameter completely, by binding to window--sides-inhibit-check to t. Having bound this, the issues wrt split-window and delete-other-windows is no longer present, and thus we no longer have to touch the 'window-side parameter at all. The same can't be said for the 'window-atom parameter (there's no variable to bind to ignore checks), so it still needs to be removed in order to ensure a safe call to delete-other-windows and split-window. Would this be a better patch? It's now less destructive on existing window parameters.