all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Google Cloud Platform's Cloud Shell has Emacs installed by default.
@ 2023-12-03  1:36 Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2023-12-03  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The Emacs version installed on Google's Cloud Shell is:

GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) of 2023-02-23, modified by
Debian

Cloudshell intro:

Each GCP "Google Cloud Platform" userid has a home directory somewhere
in Google's file land.  One most likely will never know where this
magical hard-drive is, but we do know that it affords us a Linux
interface that is within the Browser. A couple of steps from that point
and the Cloud Shell can get disconnected from the browswer and be turned
into a stand-alone frame very much like someone's Telnet session, or
maybe looks more like an X-Window.

When I get to that point, I then type emacs and and I can use it fairly
happily because the keystrokes are no longer intercepted by the browser.

Except, the C-v is typed to some "xterm" functionality.  I cannot figure
out what simplisity I might be missing.  The C-v navigation still does
the Windows Paste.

Here are two back-to-back .emacs entries in my cloudshell's .emacs.  A
C-h k for each of them is indented below them, but the only two lines
are the elisp lines.  The first one shows my key combo works for getting
me toggle-truncate-lines, but same does not work for scroll-up-command.

(global-set-key (kbd "\C-ct") 'toggle-truncate-lines)

    C-c t runs the command toggle-truncate-lines (found in global-map),
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function.

    It is bound to C-c t.

(global-set-key (kbd "\C-v") 'scroll-up-command)

    <xterm-paste> runs the command xterm-paste (found in global-map),
    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘term/xterm.elc’

    It is bound to <xterm-paste>.

    (xterm-paste EVENT)

What might I be missing to turn the C-v combo from <xterm-paste> to
'scroll-up-command?

--
Galen Boyer

* Re: Google Cloud Platform's Cloud Shell has Emacs installed by default.
@ 2023-12-04 19:50 ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2023-12-04 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Galen Boyer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Galen Boyer <galendboyer@gmail.com> writes:

> The Emacs version installed on Google's Cloud Shell is:
>
> GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) of 2023-02-23, modified by
> Debian
>
> Cloudshell intro:
>
> Each GCP "Google Cloud Platform" userid has a home directory somewhere
> in Google's file land.  One most likely will never know where this
> magical hard-drive is, but we do know that it affords us a Linux
> interface that is within the Browser. A couple of steps from that point
> and the Cloud Shell can get disconnected from the browswer and be turned
> into a stand-alone frame very much like someone's Telnet session, or
> maybe looks more like an X-Window.

Can you provide step-by-step instructions on how to get to the
stand-alone frame?  It is not readily apparent from simply connecting to
the cloud shell.  Readers of this list are more likely able to help with
the problem if they are able to recreate the environment in which you
are working.