all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell & killing processes
@ 2003-03-24 21:47 Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-24 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all, I sometimes find myself performing lengthy operations under
eshell and I need to terminate them.  'C-c C-c' doesn't work.  Nor does
'C-c C-k'.  I did 'C-h m' to see what else I might try and tried a few
different commands and nothing I do seems to cancel the shell
operation.

Even if I kill the eshell buffer, I can see in process viewer that
cmd.exe is still running (until it finishes or I "end task").

Is there some customization flag that I need to be looking for ?

Below are the commands I tried:

C-c C-\         eshell-quit-process
C-c C-d         eshell-send-eof-to-process
C-c C-k         eshell-kill-process
C-c C-c         eshell-interrupt-process

I'd really like to be able to cancel out of certain build operations I
have to do from eshell.

Thanks.

* Re: eshell & killing processes
@ 2003-03-24 21:56 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-03-24 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee/remove-for-email/@swbell.net> writes:

> Hello all, I sometimes find myself performing lengthy operations under
> eshell and I need to terminate them.  'C-c C-c' doesn't work.  Nor does
> 'C-c C-k'.  I did 'C-h m' to see what else I might try and tried a few
> different commands and nothing I do seems to cancel the shell
> operation.
>
> Even if I kill the eshell buffer, I can see in process viewer that
> cmd.exe is still running (until it finishes or I "end task").
>
> Is there some customization flag that I need to be looking for ?
>
> Below are the commands I tried:
>
> C-c C-\         eshell-quit-process
> C-c C-d         eshell-send-eof-to-process
> C-c C-k         eshell-kill-process
> C-c C-c         eshell-interrupt-process
>
> I'd really like to be able to cancel out of certain build operations I
> have to do from eshell.

Sorry, I should mention that this is on windows xp.  Emacs version
21.3.1

Regards.

* Re: eshell & killing processes
@ 2003-03-24 23:19 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2003-03-24 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee/remove-for-email/@swbell.net> writes:

> Even if I kill the eshell buffer, I can see in process viewer that
> cmd.exe is still running (until it finishes or I "end task").
>
> Is there some customization flag that I need to be looking for ?

If the commands you tried did not work, then the application is not
responding to the signal to quit.  You will need to use the task
manager.

John