all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to find lisp code for standard emacs functions? How to find functions bound to keys?
@ 2003-05-09  3:11 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2003-05-09  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've been using emacs for about a month and love it.
Now, I've trying to learn a bit of lisp and I have two
quick questions:

1.  How can I display the code associated with, for
instance, goto-line?  I think studying this code would
help me quite a bit.

2.  How can I find the name of the function associated
with a given key-sequence?  For example, I use C-w all
the time, but I can't figure out what the name of the
function is.

Thanks in adavnce for help with this simple issues.

-exits

http://search.yahoo.com

* Re: How to find lisp code for standard emacs functions? How to find functions bound to keys?
       [not found] <mailman.5814.1052449936.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-05-09  7:05 ` Friedrich Dominicus
From: Friedrich Dominicus @ 2003-05-09  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using emacs for about a month and love it.
> Now, I've trying to learn a bit of lisp and I have two
> quick questions:
>
> 1.  How can I display the code associated with, for
> instance, goto-line?  I think studying this code would
> help me quite a bit.
I'm using find-function-at-point for that, have bound it to a function
key and use it "nearly" all the time.

> 2.  How can I find the name of the function associated
> with a given key-sequence?  For example, I use C-w all
> the time, but I can't figure out what the name of the
> function is.
C-h k

You should definitly check all the C-h commands you will be suprised.

Regards
Friedrich