all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* key (re)binding
@ 2003-11-17 16:30 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2003-11-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

It seems that several keypad keys are not or partially defined on my
osx.
e.g: the divide key beeps when pressed, and C-h k says "<kp-divide> is
undefined.

To resolve that, i have added the following in .emacs:
(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-divide>") "/")
but this only insert a divide signe, i would prefer something that
defines that "kp-divide is divide key"...
Because if i press then a C-/ on keypad, it is undefined too...
Do i have to add another global-set-key for Ctrl (and another one for
Meta) ?

Second (maybe related to former): i have just noticed that neither
C-kp-home nor C-kp-end, C-kp-prior, C-kp-next are defined; but C-h k
with home says for example :
,----[ C-h k <home> ]
| <home> (translated from <kp-home>) runs the command beginning-of-line
|    which is an interactive built-in function.
| It is bound to C-a, <home>.
| (beginning-of-line &optional N)
|
| [...]
`----
And so on for other keypad keys...
By which means kp-home is getting "translated" ? why doesn't it work
with modifier keys ?

Thanks for help
Sébastien Kirche

--
E pluribus UNIX

* Re: key (re)binding
       [not found] <mailman.164.1069090371.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-16 21:03 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-16 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche@sage.com> writes:

> To resolve that, i have added the following in .emacs:
> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-divide>") "/")
> but this only insert a divide signe, i would prefer something that
> defines that "kp-divide is divide key"...
> Because if i press then a C-/ on keypad, it is undefined too...
> Do i have to add another global-set-key for Ctrl (and another one for
> Meta) ?

Yes, I'm afraid so.  Don't forget Ctrl-Meta and Ctrl-Shift and
Meta-Shift and...

> By which means kp-home is getting "translated" ?

I think it could be function-key-map.

> why doesn't it work with modifier keys ?

Because there is no entry for kp-home with modifiers in
function-key-map.

Kai