all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing default shell
@ 2005-03-16 15:17 Justin
From: Justin @ 2005-03-16 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I stopped using emacs for awhile and it seems I forgot a few things.
Before, I remembered typing M-x to enter the name of a function which
would allow me to modify certain environment variables for emacs. I'd
enter the name of the function, hit enter, then emacs would ask for the
variable name then a new buffer would open which would show the current
value and allow me to graphically modify it. This buffer would also
provide more information about the variable itself.

My end goal is to change the default shell to bash.

Thanks,
-Justin

* Re: changing default shell
@ 2005-03-16 15:41 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-16 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.03.2005 um 16:17 schrieb Justin:

> I stopped using emacs for awhile and it seems I forgot a few things.

Do you remember these?

C-h <f2>	manual-entry
C-h q		help-quit
C-h v		describe-variable
C-h w		where-is
C-h t		help-with-tutorial
C-h s		describe-syntax
C-h r		info-emacs-manual
C-h p		finder-by-keyword
C-h n		view-emacs-news
C-h m		describe-mode
C-h l		view-lossage
C-h k		describe-key
C-h i		info
C-h h		view-hello-file
C-h f		describe-function
C-h e		view-echo-area-messages
C-h c		describe-key-briefly
C-h b		describe-bindings
C-h a		apropos-command
C-h S		info-lookup-symbol
C-h L		describe-language-environment
C-h K		Info-goto-emacs-key-command-node
C-h I		describe-input-method
C-h F		Info-goto-emacs-command-node
C-h C		describe-coding-system
C-h C-\		describe-input-method
C-h C-w		describe-no-warranty
C-h C-t		view-todo
C-h C-p		describe-project
C-h C-n		view-emacs-news
C-h RET		view-order-manuals
C-h C-f		view-emacs-FAQ
C-h C-e		view-emacs-problems
C-h C-d		describe-distribution
C-h C-c		describe-copying
C-h ?		help-for-help
C-h .		display-local-help
C-h <f1>	help-for-help
C-h <help>	help-for-help
C-h C-h		help-for-help

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
(Steffen Hokland)

* Re: changing default shell
@ 2005-03-16 16:09 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-03-16 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin wrote:
> I stopped using emacs for awhile and it seems I forgot a few things.
> Before, I remembered typing M-x to enter the name of a function which
> would allow me to modify certain environment variables for emacs. I'd
> enter the name of the function, hit enter, then emacs would ask for the
> variable name then a new buffer would open which would show the current
> value and allow me to graphically modify it. This buffer would also
> provide more information about the variable itself.

If you mean environment variables per se, M-x setenv.  If you mean
options specific to Emacs, M-x customize-variable.

,----[ C-h v shell-file-name RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: changing default shell
@ 2005-03-16 16:44 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-03-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin <ng@maritime333source.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I stopped using emacs for awhile and it seems I forgot a few
> things. Before, I remembered typing M-x to enter the name of a
> function which would allow me to modify certain environment variables
> for emacs. I'd enter the name of the function, hit enter, then emacs
> would ask for the variable name then a new buffer would open which
> would show the current value and allow me to graphically modify
> it. This buffer would also provide more information about the variable
> itself.

customize-variable

> My end goal is to change the default shell to bash.

I don't know an emacs variable for this. I just use the environment variable:

    (setf (getenv "SHELL") "/usr/bin/clisp")

There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

* Re: changing default shell
@ 2005-03-22 19:58   ` Justin
From: Justin @ 2005-03-22 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. Yes, customize-variable was the one I was looking for.

I have cygwin installed on my windows xp system. I have used
customize-variable to change the shell to C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe

I clicked "Save for Future Sessions" and it put this in my ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables
   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or
cut/paste it!
  '(shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe"))
(custom-set-faces
   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
  )

The problem is when I go: M-x shell it still uses the cripled ms command
prompt.

Any suggestions?

-Justin

@ 2005-03-22 22:39     ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2005-03-22 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > The problem is when I go: M-x shell it still uses the cripled ms
    > command prompt.

I used this at one point... but I was using native ntemacs vs. cygwin
emacs.

Still... it might help.

(cond ((eq system-type 'windows-nt)
       (setq shell-file-name "bash")
       (setenv "PATH" (concat pal-cygwin-dir "/bin;" (getenv "PATH")))
       (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
       (setq-default exec-path (cons (concat pal-cygwin-dir "/bin") exec-path)
                     explicit-sh-args '("-login" "-i")
                     process-coding-system-alist '(("bash" . undecided-unix)
                                                   ("ssh" . undecided-unix)))
       (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
                 (lambda ()
                   (setq-default comint-scroll-show-maximum-output 'this
                                 comint-completion-addsuffix t
                                 comint-eol-on-send t
                                 w32-quote-process-args ?\")
                   (make-local-variable 'comint-completion-addsuffix)))

       (defun pal-comint-strip-ctrl-m (&optional string)
         "Strip trailing `^M' characters from the current output group."
         (interactive)
         (replace-regexp-in-string "" "" string nil nil nil))
       (add-hook 'comint-preoutput-filter-functions 'pal-comint-strip-ctrl-m)))

* Re: changing default shell
@ 2005-03-23  0:17     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-03-23  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin wrote:
 > Thanks for the help. Yes, customize-variable was the one I was
looking for.

 > I have cygwin installed on my windows xp system. I have used
 > customize-variable to change the shell to C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe
 >
 > I clicked "Save for Future Sessions" and it put this in my ~/.emacs:
 >
 > (custom-set-variables
 >   ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste
 > it!
 >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 >  '(shell-file-name "C:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe"))
 > (custom-set-faces
 >   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 >   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 >  )
 >

 > The problem is when I go: M-x shell it still uses the cripled ms command
 > prompt.

shell-file-name affects commands like `M-!' and `M-|'.
`C-h f shell RET' explains that you need to customize the
explicit-shell-file-name variable (or set the ESHELL or SHELL
environment variable).

--
Kevin