all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sh-basic-offset help?
@ 2005-09-22 16:12 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2005-09-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

The shell script mode seems to be filled with so many offset
settings that I have trouble setting the offsets the way I
would like to have them set.  Is there a straight forward
way to find them all or else find a "master" setting that
the others can be derived from?

My preference is for "sh-basic-offset" and "sh-indentation"
to be 4.  So, I get:

> for x
>   do
>   statement
> done

Sure looks like 2 to me.  And what's with the indentation
of "do"?  do/done should line up, indented or not.  (I
would as soon not indent "do", but they must line up
either way.)  "if" seems to work okay, but:

> if test x
>     then
>     statement
> else
>     statement
> fi

Again, "then", "else" and "fi" ought to line up.

Hints about the magic, please?  :)  Thank you! - Bruce

* Re: sh-basic-offset help?
       [not found] <mailman.8074.1127406463.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-06  0:31 ` Will Parsons
From: Will Parsons @ 2005-10-06  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce Korb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The shell script mode seems to be filled with so many offset
> settings that I have trouble setting the offsets the way I
> would like to have them set.  Is there a straight forward
> way to find them all or else find a "master" setting that
> the others can be derived from?
>
> My preference is for "sh-basic-offset" and "sh-indentation"
> to be 4.  So, I get:
>
>> for x
>>   do
>>   statement
>> done
>
> Sure looks like 2 to me.  And what's with the indentation
> of "do"?  do/done should line up, indented or not.  (I
> would as soon not indent "do", but they must line up
> either way.)  "if" seems to work okay, but:
>
>> if test x
>>     then
>>     statement
>> else
>>     statement
>> fi
>
> Again, "then", "else" and "fi" ought to line up.
>
> Hints about the magic, please?  :)  Thank you! - Bruce

I've tried to find a solution to this and failed.  I've been looking
for some sort of response to this, but none has appeared.  My sole
purpose in responding is to indicate that more than one person can't
get shell mode to do the right thing - surely someone must be using
Emacs for writing shell scripts!

- Will

* Re: sh-basic-offset help?
@ 2005-10-06  4:01   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-06  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've tried to find a solution to this and failed.  I've been looking
> for some sort of response to this, but none has appeared.  My sole
> purpose in responding is to indicate that more than one person can't
> get shell mode to do the right thing - surely someone must be using
> Emacs for writing shell scripts!

With Emacs-CVS, I get the following which looks OK to me:

  for f in *
  do
      sdfg
  done

  if swrgfef
  then blas
  else sdf
  fi

IIRC the indentation code hasn't really changed, only the default settings,
so you should be able to get basically the same behavior by fiddling with
the sh-indent-* custom vars.