all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-07 17:17 Bob
From: Bob @ 2006-09-07 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Coming from the Windows world, one of the items that I became highly
accustomed to with my editor, Codewright, was that you could UNDO
printable characters as well as the cursor positioning/movement keys.

Is there any equivalent for emacs?  Can anyone point me to where/how to
accomplish this?

For example, in codewright if I were at the top of the screen pressed
'a', right arrow, 'b', right arrow, 'c', then page down, page down.  I
would move down 2 pages worth of text.  If I then did undo once, I
would undo the page down, undo'ing a second time would undo the page
down, a 3rd undo undoes the 'c', 4th undoes the right arrow key press,
Another undo undoes the 'b', the next undo undoes the right arrow, and
the last undoes the 'a'.  The important thing is that the the cursor
movement keys were also pushed onto the undo stack.  This is what I
want to do in emacs.

Thanks
Bob

* Dynamic expansion in html-mode
@ 2006-09-07 17:55 ` Ewen Cartwright
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ewen Cartwright @ 2006-09-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I'm using html-mode to edit ColdFusion files in Emacs 22.0.50.1 on
win32. Previously, in Emacs 21, dynamic expansion would allow me to
expand names like 'whatever' if, for instance, 'form.whatever' was
defined in a buffer. Likewise, if the cursor was positioned over the
'whatever' in 'form.whatever', then M-. would default to the tag name
'whatever'.

However, Emacs 22 will only recognize 'form.whatever' as an expansion,
and will pick up 'form.whatever' as the tag name to find. I'd far rather
have the Emacs 21 behaviour for these operations, and I'm guessing that
somewhere in sgml-mode or html-mode I need to tell emacs that '.' is a
word separator in order to achieve this. Could anyone point me in the
right direction?

Thanks in advance,

/ewen

* RE: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-07 18:36 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-07 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

    The important thing is that the the cursor
    movement keys were also pushed onto the undo stack.  This is what I
    want to do in emacs.

I don't have an answer for your request. But you might find it helpful to
use a prefix arg (`C-u') with `C-SPC'. That will jump to the mark position
and pop the mark ring. In effect, repeating it lets you go back to previous
mark positions. See `C-h f set-mark-command'.

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-07 21:07 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-09-07 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bob wrote:
> Coming from the Windows world, one of the items that I became highly
> accustomed to with my editor, Codewright, was that you could UNDO
> printable characters as well as the cursor positioning/movement keys.
>
> Is there any equivalent for emacs?  Can anyone point me to where/how to
> accomplish this?
>
> For example, in codewright if I were at the top of the screen pressed
> 'a', right arrow, 'b', right arrow, 'c', then page down, page down.  I
> would move down 2 pages worth of text.  If I then did undo once, I
> would undo the page down, undo'ing a second time would undo the page
> down, a 3rd undo undoes the 'c', 4th undoes the right arrow key press,
> Another undo undoes the 'b', the next undo undoes the right arrow, and
> the last undoes the 'a'.  The important thing is that the the cursor
> movement keys were also pushed onto the undo stack.  This is what I
> want to do in emacs.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

In the O'Reilly book, "Writing GNU EMACs Extensions", by Bob Glickstein,
ISBN 1565922611,
there is, IIRC, a minor mode to do this.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
       [not found] <mailman.6595.1157654209.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-09-08  7:48 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-09-08  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't have an answer for your request. But you might find it
> helpful to use a prefix arg (`C-u') with `C-SPC'. That will jump to
> the mark position and pop the mark ring. In effect, repeating it
> lets you go back to previous mark positions. See `C-h f
> set-mark-command'.

I vote for this too, even if it at first does not sound as if it will
solve your problem.  The reason what Drew suggests work quite well is
that many command in Emacs set the mark before and after certain
operations, which means that you probably have more marks on the
mark-ring that you would suspect.  For example, when doing an isearch,
the mark is set where the searched started.  This means that you can
easily jump back to that position.  Commands like end- and
beginning-of-buffer does the same.

I suggest you try this out, it might be enough for your needs.

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-08 14:25 ` Eric Eide
From: Eric Eide @ 2006-09-08 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bob" == Bob  <junkmail71@gmail.com> writes:

	Bob> Coming from the Windows world, one of the items that I became
	Bob> highly accustomed to with my editor, Codewright, was that you
	Bob> could UNDO printable characters as well as the cursor
	Bob> positioning/movement keys.
	Bob>
	Bob> Is there any equivalent for emacs?  Can anyone point me to
	Bob> where/how to accomplish this?

I don't know to accomplish exactly what you want, but I will give you two
pointers that you might find useful:

  + The `scroll-in-place' Emacs add-on package makes scrolling commends
    "effectively" undoable, in the sense that PageDown+PageUp will always
    bring the cursor back to its starting location.  Get this package from:

      http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/emacs/scroll-in-place.el.gz

    The variable `scroll-preserve-screen-position', which is built into GNU
    Emacs, has a similar effect.

  + Often, you can get back to where you want to be by "popping the mark ring."
    The key binding for this is C-u C-SPC.  Read the online GNU Emacs manual
    for more information about "marks" and the mark ring.

Good luck! ---

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-08 19:41   ` Dave Benjamin
From: Dave Benjamin @ 2006-09-08 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Eric Eide wrote:

>  + Often, you can get back to where you want to be by "popping the mark
>    ring." The key binding for this is C-u C-SPC.  Read the online GNU
>    Emacs manual for more information about "marks" and the mark ring.

In a similar vein, I use a library called goto-chg.el that defines a
goto-last-change function. I have this function bound to M-_, which nicely
parallels C-_ for undo. It's especially handy on my laptop, where the
touchpad sometimes sends me off to la-la-land when I accidentally brush
against it with my palm.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~wh5a/personal/Emacs/goto-chg.el

Another implementation of this function by a different person is here
(I have not tried this one myself, but it looks pretty similar):

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/goto-last-change.el

Dave

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-09 12:33   ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-09-09 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:25:57 -0600 (MDT) Eric Eide wrote:

>     The variable `scroll-preserve-screen-position', which is built into GNU
>     Emacs, has a similar effect.

Hey, that's nice.  Why isn't this the default?  I was always
annoyed that scroll-up, scroll-down isn't a nop.

David

* Re: Undo'ing cursor movement keys
@ 2006-09-09 20:45     ` Kaloian Doganov
From: Kaloian Doganov @ 2006-09-09 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

    Hey, that's nice.  Why isn't this the default?  I was always
    annoyed that scroll-up, scroll-down isn't a nop.

May be because it will drive the user mad when she/he tries to use
Emacs on slow terminal, which is not an unusual case at all.

--
"Every non-free program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." --RMS